Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking into buying a dog bath basin so we can give Ruby a bath outside.

Saw something on Animal Planet but am wondering if there's others. This one has legs and we saw it at a pet store too. But I'm wondering if any movement from Ruby (who HATES that mean water!) would tip it over.

Any ideas? If so, please send a picture.

Thanx,
Janice
P.S. "don't find one!", said Ruby!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Can't you just use a small child's wading pool? That's what we used to use for Moe when we first got him. We'd Fill it part way with cold water and get him to climb in (it had short sides for his short legs and no lifting for us). Then we'd use a bucket of warm water and a car wash sponge to work up a good lather on him with his dog shampoo. Then, using a bowl to scoop water from the pool, we'd rinse him off. The warm water cleaned him well and the cold water cooled him. Now I just bathe him in our tub... I found he'll hop right in if I move the shower curtain to the opposite end of the pole. A small wading pool would certainly be a lot cheaper than a basin made for dogs, I would think. And there's no chance it would tip over...

Terry

·
Registered
110 Posts
I second the wading pool - it is easier, although it does lack those spiffy spigots. My sister invested in one of those dog baths for her lab & shepard, and it was used exactly once, as the shepard manged to cause a panic and tip it over. Granted, Ruby may be far better mannered, but the shepard was the *calm* dog. We all use the wading pools, and it also doubles as an excellent cooling system on days such as we have been having lately. Sebi will actually sit in the empty pool and look pitiful, asking us to fill it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one with legs is the one we're looking at. $175 not including tax tho locally. Seems quite steep. Personally I'd like to just sit in the grass and wash her with the hose but she'd be fighting us the whole way. With this heat, she'd be dry in no time (she hates the blow dryer).

I just can't see spending that $$ tho on this.......As for the wading pool, she hates getting her feet wet and if she was standing in water, it'd wouldn't be pretty.

The bathtub is out since she and hubby had that fall (slippery floor).

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I have one of those bathtubs on legs, and it sits in my utility bathtub. It's a bit of a lift to get the dogs up and in, but it's easier on the back and knees than a regular bathtub.

B

·
0 Posts
The one above looks nice. ( big investment) Try the kiddie pool. :D . Tummy Boy's Mom.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I very rarely give Francis a full tub bath but when I do I use a large cement mixing tub. They're about 10"-12" deep and 2 1/2 X 4 feet and made of very sturdy plastic. It's absolutely perfect for the job. It's small enough so he can't skitter too far away from me and it's deep enough to get the job done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts