Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need some help with this one. My Maddie Lou will not eat dry dog food. I have tried so many different kinds, as well as putting a little cheese and other things in it to entice her. She just picks out the cheese. She is a very finicky eater. I give her cooked chicken, vegetables, and other foods that are good for her, but I worry about her not getting all the nutrients she needs. I do give her the Wellness vitamins daily, and she is growing and healthy with lots of energy. The funny thing is that I have seen her eat my son's dogs dry dog food.
If anyone can give me some suggestions on how to get her to eat her dry dog food, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Elvis won't eat kibble on it's own. I have to buy canned food with gravy and mix it real good with the kibble. He will eat most of the kibble if I do that.

A

·
0 Posts
put warm water in it, mix it around and you'll have your own gravy without adding anything else.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
First supposing that there is nothing wrong with the kibble, it is spoiled or such the dog will eat it but keep in mind the food you are feeding her is way more appetizing and you have trainer her to refuse kibble. If she refuse's it she gets something better to eat. Contrary to some belief a dog will not starve itself. Given no other choice it will eat kibble. It may take a while but just offer kibble. twice daily after 15 minute pick-up the bowl. don't offer anything else don't make a fuse to try and coax her to eat or when she doesn't eat. She will enventual eat the kibble but it will likely take days and you must remain strong about not giving her other options including treats.

which bring up another method to make kibble more appealing. Start by using as a treat like a cookie. Actual most kibble is more flavorful than a milkbone. It will take time on the order of month but kibble used in this way is like to become more appealing to her

If you do not mind perparing home cooked meal continue to do so. If you are concerned about adequit nutrition educate your self. here a partial list to get started.

DOG HEALTH AND NUTRITION FOR DUMMIES

HOME PREPARED DOG & CAT DIETS

FEEDING YOUR DOG FOR LIFE

K9 KITCHEN: YOUR DOGS' DIET

also there are commercial products to make kibble more appealing like Iams Savory Sauce But it has been my experience that dogs have a tendency to lick/eat the parts that they like and leave the rest unless motivated to eat what they don't particularly care for.

For those suggesting water, gravy, canned food added again it comes down to each individual dog.
After his oral surgery toughy could only have soft food. We thought the typical bland diet of boiled hamburg and/or chicken and rice would work well. He ate reluctantly and lightly. His kibble soaked and ground up in the food processor went over better but he was still lossing weight and not finishing his entire ration. When his mouth healed sufficiently to have whole dry kibble again he started finishing his bowl and putting weight back on. To a large extent a dogs preferrence is base on what is familure to them. If you are going to change that it will take some persitance but dogs are basically scanvenger and will eat almost anything provide they are not given a choice.

[ January 16, 2006, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Toughynutter ]

J

·
0 Posts
1) Toughynutter, how is Toughy doing since his surgery? Been thinking about you all...

2) Our dry dog food solution: Jake won't eat dry kibble. I cook minced beef with a little water, mix it so that the kibble is coated with the little bits of beef and make sure it's wet by adding the beef cooking water (like a gravy but thinner). Jake loves it. :D More likely, being a lazy basset, he can't be bothered picking out the kibble because it's all covered with tasty mince!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the good advice. I will certainly try the suggestions.

On the suggestion about using a cookie as a treat, I wasn't sure what you meant. Could you please explain what to do with that suggestion.

If anyone else has ever found a good way to get the doggies to eat dry food, I will take any help. It is very frustrating, and it would be great to just pour her a bowl of Kibble, and have her gobble it up (Wishful thinking) Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think Mike meant to use a bit of the kibble for the treat- instead of a cookie (biscuit)- Good luck!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Shyla will not touch her dry food unless I mix it with a packet of wet food.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
"I think Mike meant to use a bit of the kibble for the treat- instead of a cookie (biscuit)- Good luck!"

Exactly over time the kibble will become associated as having a higher value than it does now.

"It is very frustrating, and it would be great to just pour her a bowl of Kibble, and have her gobble it up (Wishful thinking) Thanks!! "

If she were hungry enough that would happen regardless of the desire she has for a particular food. Hence not offering anything else.

Actual you don't want the dog gulping down the food because it is a large risk factor in bloat. The faster a dog eats the more air it swallows increasing the chance of bloat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts