Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 year old basset hound LOVES to go for a walk. It’s without a doubt his favorite time of day. He’ll walk just fine, moseying along, stopping of course to sniff anything of interest. We go for a least an hour every day.

The problem comes when it is time to go home. He doesn’t want to do it. I walk in loops so that it’s not obvious that we’ve turned around but he always knows (by the position of the sun?) and immediately puts on the brakes and tries to turn around. The only way I can get him to walk home is to toss treats out in front of him. This he also LOVES but if the treats stop so does he.

Help! I’m seriously thinking about dropping my car off, walking home and then walking him to the car so as to avoid the battle of turning around. How can I train him to not do this?

·
Super Moderator
5,045 Posts
your first proposal works. also would continuing the walks farther till the dog is exhausted and want to go back home, , but what I would do is make much shorther loops that pass by the house multiple times so heading toward the house nmo longer signals an end to the walk. There is a long history that it does so it is going to take some time which is why I reccomend short loops so you have multi times to train that heading toward the house does not necessarily mean the end of the walk. This is what we do all the time with the dogs when hunting them that a recall does not necessarily signal the end of hunting,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts