Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have only had Gus for a week now. He was a rescue from a campground we stayed at last weekend. Severely dehydrated and 15 pounds underweight, he had been hanging around the campground for a month and had no collar or tags. Now that he's had some TLC (including a vet visit), he is much more active and playful but he has started 'talking' at times. He does it sometimes when he is sitting with you enjoying some scratchies and sometimes when he is ambling about the house. The noises are not really whines or groans but neither of our other dogs do this. I was wondering if it was normal for the breed. This is our first Bassett Hound so we are on a learning curve. Our other two dogs are Heinz 57's, one of which was a rescue a year and a half ago. I would like to know if any of your Bassetts exhibit the same behavior and, if so, do you know what it means?

[ January 25, 2006, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Gus's Mom ]

A

·
0 Posts
Welcome! Molly talks all the time! In fact, it is one of our favorite things about her. She makes the funniest noises you can even imagine!
Thank you for taking this dog in. What a sad story that it was homeless at the camp grounds. Those things break my heart.
Jennifer

·
Registered
76 Posts
My first basset talked like crazy! He also told us when he wanted to go out, and it wasn't just by barking. He actually had his own language! I do believe that all bassets talk in one way or another.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Gus and you are so lucky to have found each other! Lucille, who is also from Florida :) has a large vocabulary of sounds--mbark, moo, purr, trill, rar-rar-rar, yodelling--everything except howling.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Bless you for saving Gus.There is no better place to learn about bassets than Cyberhound- welcome to the forum! As far as the talking: Murray never says a word, but his basset friend Owen does a non-stop monologue when he comes over to play. Murray seems really puzzled by all the noise; he sniffs at Owen's mouth sometimes when Owen is 'talking'- :roll:

A

·
0 Posts
Ruby is VERY vocal...always has been, always will be. Not a barker tho unless we ask her to speak for a treat.

Ruby's more of a whiner and moaner. (should have named her "Mona"). She whines at 5 a.m. every day to wake us up. Whines for attention, whines for playing, whines when she's rolling around and so on. She snores loudly too. ;)

A

·
0 Posts
P.S. I left out the most important thing that Ruby does. She "mooo's" I say, Ruby, what do cows say and she'll moo. I can say 'cow' and she'll moo. She can also gobble like a turkey too.

Major talent in this household. :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
HI, I AM NEW TO THE FORUM EVEN THOUGH I HAVE BEEN READING IT SINCE I GOT MY BABY COPPER 9 MONTHS AGO. IT IS A WONDERFUL SITE AND VERY HELPFUL.COPPER IS 11 MONTHS NOW AND HE ALSO TALKS TO ME IN THE SAME WAY YOU DESCRIBED.

[ January 24, 2006, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: copsmom ]

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Bless you for resucing Gus - I know he'll give you more love than you can imagine!

Maverick, our foster who I miss more than I thought possible, was a fabluous talker. He told me about his "day" even if I'd only been gone for 5 minutes.

Ginger makes all sorts of noises and also has to tell me about her day. Elvis thinks that woofing is all that is required of him - but he has a wide variety of woofs so I usually know what he wants. food, as a rule. Georgia only talks when she's outside playing. Otherwise she tells me what's on her mind with her eyes.

The one thing they all have in common is that they have me and hubby wrapped around their furry "little" paws.

A

·
0 Posts
Toby talked alot
Simon doesn't talk, but I think Toby started when he was older

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Spencer is a big "talker." His most vocal time is when I come home from work. He gets on the bed for some lovin' & just talks up a storm. Sadie on the other hand, is a quiet, demure lady!

A

·
0 Posts
Francis has had this sort of talk-y, whin-y, singing sort of yodel that he uses when he's bored.
It usually starts with a stretch and a yawn. It's weird but funny.

J

·
0 Posts
Jake talks in the same ways the other posters have described (with the exception of moo'ing...I'm very impressed with that!) :D

·
Registered
484 Posts
Billy "talks" all the time. he makes different sounds for different thinks.
For ex: I am bored, there is no water in the bowl, scratch me, scratch more etc. Sometimes he`ll sit down in front of me, look straight at me and "have a conversation" for a couple of minutes.

A

·
0 Posts
Mine talk too. Sabian sits in front of you when he wants something and makes the funniest noises and he responds after I talk so it is like a conversation. He gets so frustrated with me! Pearly on the other hand only very rarely talks. She does not play very often but when she does she starts talking first. It is really fun when she does this! I have to comment on the Mooing. I am very impressed with a hound that does impersonations! yvonne

A

·
0 Posts
P.S. Thank you so much for giving one of our hounds a forever home! You won't regret it! yvonne

A

·
0 Posts
Lucy and Ethel will sit in front of us and ust start talking and talking. Not sure what they are saying but it sure makes me and the wife laugh a lot. Could it be that our hound dogs are really telling us "laugh !!" as we tell them to "speak" ? who knows

·
Registered
135 Posts
OMG yes. When I get home and let her out of her crate I am SO glad I do not understand what she is saying. You are right, not a bark but something else. All I know is that if she is not happy with you she will let you know about it. I timed her once and she bitched constantly for almost six minutes. Up one side and down the other. She will also sound like Chubacha from Star Wars when we wrestle.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts