Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a few recent comments about Bassets and rain, I started to wonder if it has anything to do with where they were born and raised by the breeder?

Both of mine were farm dogs, I'm not talking puppy mill farm, I mean agricultural farm. Dozer was born in small shed (large doghouse), and he was able to go outside freely. He was only taken into the house on occasion. Digger was born in a horse barn, and was free to wonder around. He was never allowed in the house by the breeder.

Both of them love the rain AND the snow.

On the other hand, my parents "mutt" was born in the house and kept inside. Rarely was he taken outside. By the way, he hates the rain. Same goes with my sister's Pugs, house dogs that hate the rain.

So basically, inside/outside raised and whether they like the rain, or snow?

(coming soon, taken last winter)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Jackie came from a breeder with a similar situation...she had a large farm and kept the dogs in a large shed "dog barn" and the puppies had free range of either inside or outside. However, Jackie hates the rain...haven't had snow with her yet but I'm sure she won't like that much better :blink:

You have an interesting idea but I think it is an individual thing...part of their personality. I asked Jackie's breeder and she kept one of Jackie's littermates who apparently LOVES rain and mud. I guess Jackie is just the spoiled Princess... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ruby was born in the basement of the breeders house in Bassetchusetts and went in and out of the snow all the time. We had a couple of handmade sweaters for her back then but she hated all of them! She loved undulating in and out of the snow and loved sniffing the ground underneath to smell squirrels and and used to come up with snow plugs in her nose! She hated the blustery snow days and we all hated the 30 below wind chills in February.

She doesn't really like the rain but will go out it to do her business. But she hated the thunder and lightning when we lived in Florida because it rained and thundered for a little bit just about every day in the summer. Our entire back of the house was just about all glass and while lovely, she hated it when it rained. Plus the rain there sounds like the rain effects they probably did for the old black and white Tarzan movies! So loud and so hard that you couldn't hear yourself think. Then it would just stop!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sadie & Spencer came from a breeder in Kentucky. Their home had some land & I believe Sadie & Spencer's parents spent a fair amount of time outside. Spencer loves to be outside & doesn't seem to mind the rain/snow. In fact, he is out right now & it is raining. Sadie was born in the middle of a terrible snowstorm. The breeder had to keep a close eye on her Mama because she kept trying to go off on her own when it neared her delivery time. Sadie never liked to be cold & did not like to go outside. I used to have to make her go out to potty, even when the weather was OK. I think it is a personality thing, just like people!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Bogie loves the snow and the rain. He was born in Nebraska, and the breeder has outdoor kennels that are covered with a huge shed roof. Not being show quality, he spent a lot of outside kennel time, until we got him as a ten month old. The mom is brought in for the birth in the kitchen and kept there until the pups are about three weeks old. Then weather permitting, no huge snow storms or extreamly cold temps, they are moved to the outside kennels under the shed roof that have heated dog houses.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We have two basset hound girls from our first litter. Both have been raised in the same conditions here at our home. Moxie hates getting her feet wet and won't even walk on the wet grass if she can avoid it. Joy, on the other hand, loves to even run through the sprinklers. On a rainy day she's always wet. Here in Southern California we don't get any snow, but I'm sure Joy would like it. The pictures below are the closest we get to snow here.

Moxie ---

Joy ---

The girls were being shown by our co-breeder Heather Simonek

·
Registered
219 Posts
Pearly likes neither. Sabian just likes the outside rain or snow but he especially likes to play in the snow. Bobo doesn't care either way he is just slow and steady.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Rusty & Stickers were born in Florida so they've never seen snow. Maggie Mae didn't mind it at all. She was a tough girl! As far as wet grass, both of mine hate it. They try to walk on the pavers in the grass to pee!! Most of the time Rusty does his first long morning pee on the grass pavers :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Barney lived in Canada with his breeder til he was six months old. To this day, he loves the rain and the snow (not that we get much snow here in the South....). He will, however, go out and paly in the rain, then come in, joyfully soppingly soaking wet, and pee in the house - only when it's raining. Idjit.

Annabelle was born and raised in the South, but the couple of times we've had snow in her 7 years, she has been FASCINATED by it. She loves to go out and snort it all up, and get snow on her nose and ears and paws....

Hector fancies himself some sort of royalty,a dn hates to get cold, or wet, or hot, for that amtter. The other two bake out on the patio in summer, he stays inside int he air conditioning. If it's raining, he will often stick his head and shoulders out the dog door, but hten pee with his back half still in the house. Luckily, our house is all tile and wood laminate...

B

·
0 Posts
Tummy was bought from a Wisc. breeder. She lives outside of town. dogs have kennels and doggie doors to go in and out when they want.

tummy loves rain with thunderstorms and snow. Many a nite I let him out for his last potty. He won't come in. finally drag him in. Both of us soaked :angry: Hounds, U gotta love them. Where did this end up paragraphs??? :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Francis would rather walk on hot coals than wet grass. He hates rain, he hates snow but he LOVES cold weather.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Mine are actually both the same in this regard!
They like snow, esp. while it's falling, will stay out in it a good while.
Once it's been there a couple of days, they wear down their paths and stay in the path mostly.

Rain, they hate it! It's just as hard to get them out in it whether it's a couple drops falling, or pouring buckets!
Thunderstorms, Dudley gets petrified and it's rubbing off on Minnie, durn it. <_<

Where they seem to differ from most everyone else here it that they don't mind wet grass at all. They don't mind mud either, at least to walk in. Most days that's part of the a.m. ritual, drying/cleaning the grass and mud off their feet after morning potty trip.

Kind of odd when you consider they are both rescues I got 1.5 years apart, and both have different backgrounds.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
We don't have rain or snow in Las Vegas, but we have sprinklers. Bugsie is impervious--she'll wander around outdoors, sprinklers or not, and was raised indoors. Another actively avoids sprinklers and still another doesn't seem to mind getting wet, and was raised indoors by the same breeder as the one who avoids sprinklers. The others are rescues who seem to more or less avoid the sprinklers, but we don't know under what circumstances they were raised.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I think we should do a little experiment here - those of us in locations that get snow should switch homes for the season with those in areas with no snow. We can then see first hand how our hounds would react to the different climates. I'm all for spending the winter in Florida - Maggie's Mommy, do you want to come live in Cincinnati for the winter? :D

Here's a picture of Sadie & Spencer last winter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think we should do a little experiment here - those of us in locations that get snow should switch homes for the season with those in areas with no snow. We can then see first hand how our hounds would react to the different climates. I'm all for spending the winter in Florida - Maggie's Mommy, do you want to come live in Cincinnati for the winter? :D
[/b]
Would you like to switch the cost of living too? ;) :lol:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
How Moe spent the early months of his life is uncertain. He LOVES snow, acting puppylike hopping through it like a rabbit, snowplowing with his nose, and chasing snowballs endlessly. He's oblivious to rain and thunderstorms... he'll wander through torrential rain to find that 'perfect' spot to pee or poo, completely unfazed by thunder and lightning. He's also a sun-worshipper, toasting his belly in the hot sun, then moving to shade to cool off.

Tally spent the first year of her life closed in a garage (her first owner didn't like her to piddle in her house).
She hates snow... I need to shovel a path for her to get under the porch to do her business. She also hates rain, evidently believing she'll melt if she gets wet. She used to be terrified of thunder and lightning but after six years she finally has gotten to the point where she tolerates it. At least I think so... she no longer tries to mold herself to us, shivering, when a storm comes. She's more content to sit near us.

Perhaps early environmental exposure is not a deciding factor for whether or not they like rain or snow... at least part of it is their temperment and individual personality, as is activity levels, food choices, willingness to please, whether they are poeple-shy or affectionate.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Well woebgon, only temporarily! I actually researched moving to Florida but decided against it, because in addition to the difference in cost of living, I found that moving in the area I wanted to live in would mean I would have to take a $20,000/year pay cut! :blink: That would mean a WHOLE lot less biscuits for Spencer!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts