Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 1/2 year old Basset named Penelope. She is the greatest! :D Every single day she scratches under her arms, under her neck, and anywhere else she can reach until she is bleeding. We have tried many different dog foods to no avail. Also our dog seems to have an upset stomach often (or atleast I think she does) and licks & eats the carpet in our house. I think she thinks it is grass and it will ease her stomache ache. We have tried not to give her human food, and tried different dog food as well, and nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am tired of the massive dog pukes on my floor/carpet! YUK!!! :D

A

·
0 Posts
Hi Dawn,
What kind of food are you trying with her? There has been some GREAT information posted on this site regarding what kinds of ingredients one should avoid when feeding you hound. Others have more info that I do, but after reading many posts, I have changed from Pro Plan Plus to Nutro Chicken Rice and Oatmeal. Although Pro pLan was recommended to me from my vet, I read that it has a corn [element] that can cause adverse reactions in your dog. I have had no probs since switching.
I also add a tablespoon of Plain yogurt (per the advise of people on Cyberhound) to their evening meal and this I believe has prevented any type of yeat infection and the itching behavior you describe that Penelope is exhibiting.
Im sure other with more info will be able to advise you as well!!!
I hope she feels better soon!
Annie

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
If she is scratching constantly to the point of bleeding, and vomiting on a regular basis, I would talk to your vet about it. Murray's allergies caused him to bite himself and create hotspots- we changed his food to fish and sweet potato kibble because it turned out he was allergic to beef, corn, and chicken. The vet gave me Gentocin spray(antibiotic/cortisone) to treat the hotspots. Once those healed, and we eliminated the things causing his allergies, I started using Gold Bond Medicated baby powder on his problem areas (underarms, neck). Adding yogurt to his diet, as Anniemeehan suggested, also helped.Hope something I said helps!

edited to say- it's also possible that something in your home or yard is causing her allergic reaction- not necessarily food. Just a thought.

[ January 19, 2006, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: murraysmom ]

A

·
0 Posts
Ruby is on Eukanuba Fish & Potato which we get from the vet. It is low protein and helps her skin because of those omega oils. She LOVES the food.

She's been on antibiotics in the past for skin infections. When her skin is bothering her a lot we bathe her with Malasab shampoo a couple of times a week per the vet. You need to put it on and let it sit for about 10 minutes B4 you rinse off.

We also have a Malasab rx spray for her pits when they're messed up. She hates it so I either have to chase her around or her daddy holds her while I do the dirty work (so to speak).

The biscuits we give her are those we get at the vet too; no preservatives and so on.

Human benedryl tablets (or store brand) work well too. The vet said we could give her one 25-mg tab in the a.m. and in the p.m. but when she needs it we only give it to her once a day; she gets too lethargic. But that's just Ruby...yours might be different.

If your dog has yeast, that's a whole other story and you'll need anti-fungal meds from the vet. Make sure the vet checks your dog thoroughly from nose to tail and let the vet know what you are feeding your basset and so on. That's the only way to get to the bottom of what's causing the problems.

Good luck!

·
Registered
335 Posts
The carpet licking sounds familiar; when we laid new carpet in our bedroom about a year ago, our appx. 10 year old sheltie started licking the carpet every night, to the point of driving DH and I insane, but he didn't barf. At first we thought he was grooming enthusiastically, and going over onto the carpet, but after listening for awhile, we could tell that wasn't the case and he was just licking the carpet. Blech....

Long story short, a vet-tech suggested to me it was either

1: the scent of the carpet that attracted him, (smells yummy to him?)

2:some sort of dietary deficiency that BJ thinks he can fulfill by licking the carpet, possibly because of smell of the carpet

3: it might be a self-comforting activity, because we adopted him from DH's parents when they moved, and he missed them, but I don't think so because he didn't lick any other carpet in the house, just the new one.

The carpet is over a year old, we've owned BJ since 09/11/04, and he STILL licks it, though not quite as enthusiastically as before. Everything else about him is normal--appetite, BMs, no excessive itching/shedding, etc. I think he just enjoys the taste of the carpet.

Anyway, thought I'd mention the ideas on carpet-licking. I had never run into this activity either until we adopted BJ.

I sure hope you find a solution to Penelope's tummy & itching troubles soon! BTW, I think Penelope is a lovely name for a basset hound!

BarbR

A

·
0 Posts
my old hound had these problems. He ate a perscription food of limited ingredients, venison and potatoe You can try one from the store, just look for limited ingredients, because alot have all sorts of stuff as secondary ingredients I also used gold bond, and benedryl In the spring when they were really bad he had to get steroids once in awhile, but they make them pee alot Good luck

·
Registered
987 Posts
I agree with murraysmom. While my basset doesn't seem to have these problems, my bully does. I feed her a fish based food with no wheat flour, gluton or any other wheat products. The wheat can aggrevate skin allergies.
Lily may not have these issues because I have always fed her this same type of food. Fish and potato is the best if your going commercial. More and more lately I have been thinking of switching them to an all natural diet though.
But Purina One has a sensative systems formula for skin and stomachs and so does Pro Plan. Both are fish based with no wheat products. There may be others out there. I know Diamond has one, but I could never find them in my area and now I'm glad I didn't.
Best of luck, oh and when Rosies out breaks get really bad I have her on short doses of steriods, but haven't had to do that in a couple of years.
Malasab shampoo regularly also helps.
Again, best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts