Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 1/2 yr old named Brady - we rescued him 2 yrs ago and he has been my baby ever since. Brady loves to play with other dogs, especially female ones, after several visits from my parents dog and the reaction (crying and pouting) when she left we decided to get a sibling for Brady. We were given an english bulldog last November. Things were great until she became sick and passed away in July (The previous owners weren't completely truthful with how healthy she was) - now we are wondering if we need to get another dog or wait a bit longer and see how things go.

Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
12,956 Posts
The question is not if Brady needs another dog or not the question is are you ready and wanting another dog. It is best not to try and justify the descision based on the dogs "needs" because he will do just fine either way in most cases.

I have a 2 1/2 yr old named Brady - we rescued him 2 yrs ago and he has been my baby ever since. Brady loves to play with other dogs, especially female ones, after several visits from my parents dog and the reaction (crying and pouting) when she left we decided to get a sibling for Brady. We were given an english bulldog last November. Things were great until she became sick and passed away in July (The previous owners weren't completely truthful with how healthy she was) - now we are wondering if we need to get another dog or wait a bit longer and see how things go.

Any Thoughts?[/b]

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think it really does depend on the humans in the house. My Husband would be like a 3rd Basset. I don't feel the desire for one. I love having visitors but I don't want a third permanent dog. I feel complete with the 2 I have. I do think having a playmate for your dog is great. My 2 interact with each other in a way I can't. I did get them as a pair. They spent the first year of their life together so they were bonded and I was lucky not have to do the introduction. If you have the time and desire go for it! Otherwise maybe consider fostering or joining a playgroup. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it really does depend on the humans in the house. My Husband would be like a 3rd Basset. I don't feel the desire for one. I love having visitors but I don't want a third permanent dog. I feel complete with the 2 I have. I do think having a playmate for your dog is great. My 2 interact with each other in a way I can't. I did get them as a pair. They spent the first year of their life together so they were bonded and I was lucky not have to do the introduction. If you have the time and desire go for it! Otherwise maybe consider fostering or joining a playgroup. Good Luck![/b]
Thank you so very much! There are days I wouldn't mind having a 2nd dog, and other days I'm really happy that I am able to give all of my attention to Brady. I like the ideas of fostering and/or the playgroup!

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The question is not if Brady needs another dog or not the question is are you ready and wanting another dog. It is best not to try and justify the descision based on the dogs "needs" because he will do just fine either way in most cases.[/b]
You have a great point! Some days I like the idea of getting a 2nd dog, and other days I'm happy with our pet numbers the way they are now.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hi Rusty and Stickers' Mom,
I just couldn't resist...
I think it really does depend on the humans in the house. My Husband would be like a 3rd Basset. ![/b]
? Some days, I think my husband feels he's something like a third Basset, too :p

·
Registered
251 Posts
:lol: :lol: One day I actually counted how many different visitors (Bassets) we've had stay here over the past year. 13 total! All have been from the breeder and are somehow related to mine. Most have stayed 3 weeks or longer. It has been a wonderful experience for us as well as Rusty & Stickers. They share their toys, food, beds, basically open their homes to these dogs. It keeps them social and they have a ball. We get to help other dogs, experience different behaviors and have alot of fun in the process. Then, they go home and I have my family back! A great balance! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts