Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, Spencer woke me up with this horrifying howl/cry. I sat up in bed & he was next to me, facing away from me. His head was up, but he was very still. I called his name, but he did not move. I put my hand on his back and he jumped and looked at me. It was like he was still asleep until I touched him. He put his head back down and within minutes, was snoring. I on the other hand laid awake for over an hour! I wondered what in the world he could have been dreaming about that was so upsetting. Maybe those evil squirrels that taunt him in the backyard! ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have observed rapid eye movement when my Molly is asleep and she has made sounds even barking as you described while asleep. Dreams are products of the brain and since they have relatively high intelligence----and can reason, recognize and show emotions such as love or even jealousy----I am convinced they are smart enough to have dreams.
don

·
Registered
25 Posts
Last night, Spencer woke me up with this horrifying howl/cry. I sat up in bed & he was next to me, facing away from me. His head was up, but he was very still. I called his name, but he did not move. I put my hand on his back and he jumped and looked at me. It was like he was still asleep until I touched him. He put his head back down and within minutes, was snoring. I on the other hand laid awake for over an hour! I wondered what in the world he could have been dreaming about that was so upsetting. Maybe those evil squirrels that taunt him in the backyard! ;)[/b]
I know that Barty has bad dreams sometimes i just bet that its about the cats i have eating his food or getting between us. But nothing like what Spencer went though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
They definitely have dreams. The first time I noticed Bogie having a dream was when he had fallen asleep the first night on a big bed while the family was watching TV. He began wagging his tail, completely asleep, and kept wagging it for at least 15 minutes straight. Since then, I've heard him growl, grumble, and start to breathe very quickly and I've seen him move his legs like he is running in his sleep. The wagging tail only has happened once, but it is definitely my favorite.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Poor guy. Funny, just last night Buddy was crying in his sleep. It went on for quite a while too. And I too had to wonder what could have been so upsetting. Maybe he was dreaming of a treat out of his reach. ;)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think they definitely can have bad dreams. Once, Lightning sat up from a dead sleep and growled menacingly at the front door. I don't think I'd ever heard him growl before. It took me a minute to realize he wasn't awake. When he did wake up, he seemed very confused. And Mahna, Stomps has wagged his tail in his sleep, which I agree is the cutest thing ever.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Poor guy. Funny, just last night Buddy was crying in his sleep. It went on for quite a while too. And I too had to wonder what could have been so upsetting.[/b]
Funny, so did Luke, i just figured he was having a bad dream about Dixie.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have observed rapid eye movement when my Molly is asleep and she has made sounds even barking as you described while asleep. Dreams are products of the brain and since they have relatively high intelligence----and can reason, recognize and show emotions such as love or even jealousy----I am convinced they are smart enough to have dreams.
don[/b]

I agree. Just this past Saturday, Fred barked and howled in his sleep. I didn't wake him, because right afterwards he continued to snore hard. I kinda laughed. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts