Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what time your fur kids get you up in the morning. We turn out the lights at around 10:30 PM every night after a potty break, and Bogie gets us up at 5:30 AM every morning. He really has a clock in his head, because he's never off more than five minutes of 5:30 AM. He starts with a little low whine that grows louder if we try to ignore him. Sure wish we could somehow get him to snooze a little longer. The funny part is he is in no big hurry to head out to potty.

Aroooos from Bogie Carter!!!!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Dolly still get up every night at about 1;30 to go potty. Patty can go all night but Dolly still has to go during the night. Copper is up every morning at 4:30. We have to get up early for work so it is usually alright but even on my days off he still thinks it is time to get up.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sometimes Sadie will wake up around 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning to go out but goes right back to sleep. On the weekends she will usually get up with me around 8:00, but during the week when I go to work she is still in my bed sleeping when I have to leave so my daughter will come down and climb in my bed and they will both sleep until 11:00.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oh my gosh ...is 5:30 The magic Hour??! Both of mine are up and bursting into our room at the same time every morning! We've tried everything from keeping them up later at night ...to feeding them a late night snack, as suggested on this forum. They STILL get up at the same time.

They are absolutely FRANTIC on the weekends if we don't get up. Occasionally, they will sleep in for another hour or so ...but they make all kids of racket to get us up. It's like they think WE are the ones oversleeping!

·
Registered
511 Posts
That's why I have a dog door, no way am I getting up at 5am to let them out. :D
But of course, the last 2 days I've had to yell at them, because they have been barking at 6am. My guess is an early morning jogger with a dog, causing them to bark.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My Brandy waits until my husband leaves for work at 6 and then whines to wake me up to let her out. She doesn't even get off the couch until he leaves. Charlie likes to sleep in some times. He sleeps on couch and when I use to have to go to work in the morning I would have to bribe him to go out so I could leave. They usually go out for the last time at 9 PM even though we don't go to bed until later. Charlie likes to pretend sleep won't open his eyes if it is too early. But Brandy waits for the garage door to close to want out. Drives me crazy my husband could very well let her out. I work evenings most time and don't get home until almost 11 it makes a long day getting up at 6, and they go to bed at 9 so unfair.
Stephanie

·
Registered
284 Posts
we must be very lucky...snoop's wakes when we wake! about 7/8 am.

at a weekend we let her out about that time and then we go back to bed and leave the back door open so we can come and go as she pleases.

we are lucky she's not really a barker/howler. she's very quite and will just have a good old sniff around the garden and a little sunbathe until it gets too hot or it starts to rain an then she brings herself back in for another little napp until we are up and ready to play!

·
Registered
201 Posts
It doesn't matter what time we go to bed, Wally and Sissy have two internal clocks for the potty time. The first one is 1:30 a.m. and then they get up at 4:00 a.m. This is seven days a week. My husband gets up at 4:00 a.m. for work and I get up at 4:30 to have coffee with him before he leaves. When we have a day off, it doesn't matter 4:00 a.m. is the magic hour.
This morning it was pouring rain - FINALLY - at 4:00 a.m. so Wally started outside and then felt the rain. He turns around and back he comes. He hates to go out in the rain. We have had such high humidity and heat 100+ for many days the rain was a welcome because cooler temperatures are coming today. The only problem we have several people in the area without power since 3 a.m.
Cindy (Wally & Sissy)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe is a very late sleeper. He won't get up till somewhere between eight and ten AM. If I try to get him up earlier (sometimes I have early errands) he grumbles, moans and even growls (after all these years his growls are little more than strong protests). Once up, he won't go out without Tally. After he drags his lazy butt off his bed he trudges upstairs to whine at Tally's bedroom door (she sleeps with my daughter). He'll sit there in the hall and whine till I open the door, drag HER as she growls at me, from under the blankets (dachshunds are burrowers), then carry her down the stairs to let them both out. After morning cookies, they BOTH go back to bed... 8)

I remember Micheal saying Toughy slept something like twenty-two hours a day... that's what Moe is like now. I remember what Moe was like even four years ago, wild, crazy, full of energy, and ALWAYS up to no-good. I look at his gray muzzle and his lazy ways and even the way he actually LISTENS to commands now and again... and I miss my crazy Moe and his shenanigans. :cry: The years are going by WAY too fast. It breaks my heart to hear of other Bassets passing on because, in a few short years, that will be us grieving. I'm not sure I'll ever have another Basset... he's been my great love and there'll be no replacing him.

Enjoy your early-risers, your mischief-makers, and your stubborn trouble-makers...

Terry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Speedy gets up at 2AM with my husband on work days. (He's a bread man) He has toast and then comes back to the bedroom with me, Shami and Laci. The girls never wake up as Speedy leaves the room and returns with toast breath. How lucky am I? On his days off they wake us up between 5:30 and 6.

M

·
0 Posts
Does Bogie sleep in a crate??? My two slept in the same crate until 2 weeks ago. At the breeders house they are loose in her family room. We decided to try it. We keep the office door closed and baby gate the openings so they only have access to the family room & kitchen. We still have the crate in the family room and leave the door open. Stickers still goes in to sleep but Rusty prefers his soft pillow bed. Stickers whines everymorning at 7:00. She will continue at the gate until we get up. She too is in no hurry to go potty. I guess they are awake and wanting some human company???? She never did this when they were together with the door closed in the crate?? Have you ever tried ignoring his whining or are you afraid he would pee or start to chew???

I know my Maggie Mae woke up everyday at 5:30 her entire life!!!! even after we moved here to Florida to retire!!

Good Luck!

J

·
0 Posts
Oh I am soooo happy José is not a morning person! :D

Weekday mornings, I usually have to force him off the couch to go out around 7:40 am. Weekends are better, we wake kinda early (8:00 or so but that's gonna change as soon as I install these room darkening blinds). I get up to make coffee, bring 2 cups back to bed for my husband and I, watch the news. Maybe José will get up 8:30 or 9:00... but usually it is just to come in the bedroom to say hi. Then he lays down in the hall.

After the morning pee, he goes back to sleep until about noon.

My brother has an Australian sheppard that is up & at 'em at 5 am!! Better him than me!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Between 5 and 5:30 a.m. every day. We wake her up to go out and "make potty" right before we go to bed.

The morning "whine and shine" wake up call from Ruby has nothing to do with when she goes to bed at night but when her stomach alarm goes off. She gets her dinner about 5 or 6 p.m. and she's famished by the dawns early light (or B4).

:D

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
HA! I wish!

I get up at 4:30 am, it's all I can do to drag their lazy butts out of bed so they can do their stuff outside in time for me to leave for work. :roll:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I agree with Dozer-Digger, no way I want to wake up in the middle of the night, that's why we installed a doggie door too.
Winston used to wake up at 2:30 am or 3 am and wanted us to play with him!! :shock: He must be crazy.
But then as he gets older, he sleeps until 7 am. Thank goodness!

Henrietta sleeps until 7:30 am. That means every morning on the weekdays, she's still sleepy when we left for work. :D

S

·
0 Posts
Sabian gets up at 5am every morning. He lets himself out to potty, then he wakes me up because now he wants to sleep with my son who keeps his door shut. When I let him in my son's room. Bo comes out to potty and then Bo eats and goes back to sleep and I go to work. Pearly gets up only when her bladder is a out to explode! Sometimes she makes it just to the patio in the nick of time. On my days off and I don't leave early, Sabian and Bo go through the same routine but around 7 Sabian wants to go on a walk. Pearly is still asleep at this time and NOT interested in walking anywhere. Pearl and Sabian eat their first meal around 10-11am (Bo has eaten at 5am) and they all eat agaain around 5 or 6 with snacks before bed. And that is the day in the life of the Ramey bassets!

·
Registered
813 Posts
When George first got us, it was 6 a.m. every morning like clockwork (pun intended). We finally convinced him to wait until 7, when we had to get up anyway. Now he waits for the alarm and if Mommy hits snooze more than once or twice, he comes into the bedroom and starts bumping the bed and whining and, if necessary, all-out barking to get me up. On weekends, thank heavens, if I don't need the alarm, he'll usually let me alone until 8 or 9 if I'm lucky. Note that he does not feel so compelled to get his DADDY out of bed. It's my side he comes to, me he insists upon rousting. Daddy could sleep all day for all George cares. And he doesn't necessarily want to go out at that point. In fact, by the time I've started coffee, HE has usually gone back to bed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It seems like the average wake up is between 5-6AM. I'm sure yours are all like mine. We get up bring them out, feed them, give them some attention and then they are SLEEPING again. We are now wide awake. Whats wrong with this picture? :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts