Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tatsi is almost 12 weeks now, and 15 pds! She gained 8 pds in her 3 weeks with us so far.

The past weekend whomever was going into the shower she followed and joined in with them! My daughter used the oportunity to give her a quick bath. She loved it. She drank the drops of water and barked at the shower head.

I'd love to get a video, but Jess would have to find her bathing suit, because no one is taping me in one, lol!
I might bethrown off the forum with that sight!

I am aware of her needing a doggie life vest, if she is near a pool, I know she would sink. Do they all like water this much? Iwonder what she will think of snow?

By the way, this is the dog who cries when it's raining outside. Go figure :p :wacko:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nope, my Francis would rather walk on hot coals than get wet. You have an unusual basset, I think, most of the ones I know don't really take to water but it sounds like little Tatsi likes to have fun and that's what pups are all about.

·
Registered
118 Posts
José used to stand at the tub and lick the shower curtain. Now we have sliding doors & sometimes he licks the bottom of that. If left open afterwards, he will go in. We hear click click click nails in it and then later see dirty wet paw prints where he left. If I hear him I yell "Jose want a bath" or if that doesnt work I turn on the water for a split second, that freaks him out and makes him remember he hates baths.

He seems to forget he doesn't like them. And, like any self-respecting basset, after a bath he goes bezurk (sp??) like he is a lunatic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
On my what, sixth Basset and Scarlett, now about 9 months, is the first to not abhor water! Actually, I think it's because we are keeping our daughter's Labrador and having grown up with the Lab, the pup thinks she too is a water dog. Nearly daily walks around the lake include a swim by both, but as the weather has cooled substantially, the Lab has lost interest to a degree. Not the Basset pup -- she wants in!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I think it is highly unusual, but to be encouraged! It would make it much easier to bathe them if they would voluntarily get in the tub!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe must be one of the unusual Bassets... he loves baths and showers, and he is completely unfazed by precipitation of any type - rain, snow, hail, sleet, whatever. When he was young I bought him a wading pool to lie in when it was hot outside. He used to hop into the tub if anyone left it untended while filling, and he frequently tried to get into the shower with me. He used to willingly hop in the tub for his bath but now he needs coaxing... not because he doesn't like it, but because he's getting older and it seems to be a little more difficult for him.

Tally, however, is a different story. She hates baths, rain, and any situation where she might get wet. When it's raining she pees under the porch. :blink: Snow is the only exception... I think it's because snow isn't actally 'wet' until it melts. B)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I always thought that monty was the only weird Basset but i am glad to see there are other hounds just as loony as he is! :D He can not resist the shower and would even go and play there when the shower is not running! :) I love it he is sooo cute sometimes i can just hug him to death!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never said she loves the rain. It's pouring out and she is huddled under my umbrella. Of course when I took a shower a half hour later, I had company! You just need to be careful who's shampoo you grab when there is soap in your eyes! :lol:
I am curious how often you should shampoo them? I can't imagine, it's more then once a week, or less

Tatsi is clown, she doesn't know if she is coming or going.

She spent over an hour barking at a tissue box, until we realized she dropped her treat in it! We just thought she had goneinsane, and were laughing so hard, Ithought we'd wet out pants! (then again, it would have been ann excuse for her to get in the shower again) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Turbo will stick her head in the shower she mainly likes to drink the water, the other night though I pulled her in the shower with me and bathed her surprisingly easy and she didn't mind getting bathed as much. So yeah I would say my basset likes the shower :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Both of mine deplore baths! Buddy makes sure to stay well away from the bathroom when the water is running, but Daphne insists on sitting by the tub and staring at me when I take a bath. If I try to get her to join me, however, she'll run and hide under the bed. LOL If we go to the dog park she'll stand on the shore of the pond and bark, Buddy walks in until his tummy is touching the water and stick his face in trying to smell what is at the bottom. I don't think there is any such thing as a "typical" bassett but one who likes baths is definately "a-typical" !!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bogie always tries to hop in with me, so I have to jam the door shut (there is no long) because some how he get is open. Once I'm done in the shower, he goes in and just sits in the tub, having a great time.

14 Posts
Flash like baths. Our one showerhead has a hose attached, and we can take it down for washing the dogs. Instant basset shower! Flash also loves to play in snow.

Or Female, Dot, hates hates HATES to be wet. Bathtime with her isn't fun for either human or hound. And she is the one with all the white!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts