Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have not been on for a long time, but last night my DaisyMae scared the "hell" out of me...sorry for the language but I panicked big time. She sleeps with me under the covers at my feet. I guess I sensed something was wrong because I work up with a fright and immediately touched her with my foot. She did not rouse like she would normally. I sat up and picked up her feet and shook her and she was just limp like a wet noodle. I put my hand on her side and could not feel her breathing. In a panic I woke my husband and said I thought she has passed away in her sleep. When he sat up, she finally took a large breath and lifted her head. This morning she may have had a little paleness in her eyelids, but her gums and tongue looked ok. She was her normal self this morning but did want more food than normal. A little of her background. She turned 9 in June. Early in life before becoming my child, she was malnutrition. She has had all her regular vaccines and more than regular health check ups because I am a worry wort about her. She gets Advantage Multi, takes glucosimine and on very rare occasions I give her medication to calm her for storms. She has had a recent weight loss of about 15 pounds because her 'brother' was diagnosed with thyroid and we putt all 5 'kids' on the low calorie food. She lost probably the most of any of them and very quickly. Her vet monitored this as he was a bit concerned at the speed but she is a very active girl and did finally reach a point where she stopped losing. She is thin but not emaciated. I have already placed a call into her vet and will be taking her to see him, but just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced such a thing and get some additional opinions. Thanks so much!
Deborah & DaisyMae

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow up on my post.

I took DaisyMae in for her appointment and after an x-ray, they discovered she has pockets of air in her lungs much like asthma. She also has a slightly enlarged heart. He felt that was the cause of her breathing incident and gave her a shot of steroids and put her on some antihistamine capsules. He said unfortunately with dogs, you can not get them to inhale when you want, so its really tough to treat canine asthma. So basically we have to just give her antihistamine when her seasonal allergies are bad. If anyone has further suggestions I would love to hear them. He did say that when I am giving myself a breathing treatment it certainly would not hurt to have DaisyMae sitting right with me to also breath in the medication.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts