Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am new here and hoping someone can help me. I am confused as to why my son's basset is behaving this way.

We brought DJ home when he was 6 weeks old May 2010. The past 3 months he prefers being in his crate. At first we thought it was due to the sun being overhead making him hot. So, we would place him in his crate until the sun went down around 6. BUT now he barks when he is out anytime. NON-stop barking. I have tried loud noises to stop the behavior which didn't work. He only stops if placed back in his crate.

Why this behavior? I though a hound would love to be outside chasing things. I feel sorry for him. He only wants to be in the crate. Any ideas, as well, to change this behavior?

Thanks.

OH, he is a very outgoing loving dog. He isn't shy or timid and behaves around children. That's why I am confused. He's a good dog-loving and sweet.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Is he outside all of the time? How many hours a day is he in his crate? 6 weeks is way too young to bring home a puppy, he is not going to be as socialized, either.

It doesn't matter if they are inside or out, as long as their people are around. Bassets are very social, and want to be around their people as much as possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes he is an outside dog and I agree 6 weeks was too young but we were ignorant of that fact at the time.

He is socialable that's why I am confused on his behavior. He likes the walks around the neighborhood, he loves to run and chase with my son, and plays with our 11 year old two pound chihuahua.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Why this behavior
One can speculate but it is unlikely right or wrong to solve the problem.

Does the dog bar non-stop when outside and some one is with him? My guess is no . So This is wat happens you have a very social hound that does not like to be alone. When it is alone it has learned that barking gets it attention. It is likely when he was young that You were told to ignore the barking when the dog was in the crate which occured so the dog has learned not to bark in the create. It is quite simply learned behavior and on an indication of preference etc. I am sure if the dog had a prefference it would be to be with the rest of the family. The serious question is why is the dog not given this opportunity.

Seperation Anxiety

1 - 4 of 4 Posts