Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is drinking much more than Belvedere drinks. She can't pass the bowl without stopping for a few gulps. I've been "treating" a lot the past couple of days and they are just now officially playing hard ...but this is still odd to me.

Is there anything I should watch for? She is 8 years old ...he is only 4 1/2. Is age a factor? And treats are kind of salty, aren't they? I just want to be sure she's ok.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Most dog treats have little or no salt in them. You might want to take her to the vet to be checked out. Is she also losing weight? This combination of symptoms could mean diabetes. Then again, she could just be thirsty. Better have her checked out if you can.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
Time at the dog bowl does not have any relation to amount of water consumed. So are faster and more efficient than others.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Faye, my daughter got a dachshund this weekend and she did the same way for the first couple of days but she seems to have slowed down now and not drinking so much.I think maybe she was just nervous.

p.s. we are still planning on adopting as soon as they call Copper is a bit much for the dachshund.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All dogs in my experience seem to be different with the amount of water they need but do have her checked out by a vet I had a chow who had a heart condition and the only symtom he had was drinking more and my daughter has diabetes and the only difference was extra thirst.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll call the vet today and see if I can take her in within the next couple of days. I am noticing that it is not as much as the first two days but she does drink more than my other one, for sure.

Thanks for the advice.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Francis can easily put away a bowl and a half of water a day. He's ALWAYS been a serious water drinker since tiny puppyhood. The vet said he's fine and he's pretty healthy.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with my lab his drinking was excesive and we found out he did have diabeteis but that doesn't mean yours does but it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out its a serious disease and you don't want it ot go unchecked to long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts