Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason i started looking for a basset to rescue was because of the BROOD website. Basset Rescue of Old Dominion. I fell in love with the breed from my research. I found my girl at the local shelter as some probobly know. Well, a few weeks ago i wrote an email and called the rescue for advice on training. i had asked if they knew of any trainers i could have come to my house that were experienced with bassets. being local i thought they may have known. I never recieved a call or email in return. i sure hope they dont treat potential 'adopters' the same way. i am considering getting a 2nd basset b/c i am not only in love with mine, but wouldnt mind having another one to love and be a companion for my ROOBIE.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Sean! We adopted our Boggs through BROOD in January and I was thrilled with the entire process.

You might try to get in touch again -- they are a volunteer organization and occassionally things might fall through the cracks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have another disappointing Rescue story. OBR Ohio Basset Rescue denied us the opportunity to adopt a Basset because we have no fenced in yard. I already have Daisy who is spoiled rotten and sent many refernces and vet info. I understand that there are concerns about lost or runaway Bassetts BUT the one we wanted was being kenneled due to lack of foster homes and here we are ONE YEAR LATER and that same Basset is STILL being Kenneled!!! Wouldn't it have been much more humane to allow him a loving home?
Just my Opinion...wanted to vent.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
BHRG (Basset Hound Rescue of Georgia) is a volunteer organization also. We try to make sure we answer every email and phone call sent to us. BUt all of us are (unpaid!) volunteers only, and have full-time "day jobs" as well - gotta pay for the kibble somehow! For isntance, we have two "intake coordinators" - these are the people who get the calls from shelters, good samaritans, and people who want to give up their basset. Cathy - one of our two intake coordinators - says she gets up to 10 voice mail messages and *20* email messages a day, and those are just those messages that pertain *Solely* to trying to take in, transport, or rescue incoming bassets!!!!! I know that things slip through the cracks occasionally. If you dont' get a reply from your local rescue, please try again.

Also, as to the fence issue - some rescues just flat will not adopt to someone with no fence. They have made that rule a policy for a reason - usually because they had an adopter in the past with no fence, who swore they would never let the dog run loose, who then did, and the rescued/adopted dog ended up dead on a highway somewhere. I know that is disappointing to the responsible people with no fence who find themselves on the wrong end of that policy - but please try to remember that the group in question made that policy because they were sure it was in the best interests of the bassets they are rescuing.

BHRG takes such applications on a case-by-case basis. Usually, we will adopt to a unfenced home, even an apartment, as long as we are confident that the adoptive family knows and understands that the dog cannot be let outside "to roam", but must stay on leash.

[ May 13, 2005, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Menzie ]

·
Registered
317 Posts
I do appreciate the reason for the rules...but unfortunately we live in a place that does not permit us to put up a fence and thus Daisy shall remain without a sibling for a while I guess. We never let her off the leash and we have our deck blocked with a kiddie gate just in case she were to get out the front door so she couldn't go anywhere. I just want another Basset baby and did not want to start all over with a puppy. I wanted to offer a home to an older dog that doesn't have one. Daisy would love someone to play with.
Thanks for the response...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Lisa, we can't have a physical fence around our property either, which is why we went with the Invisible Fence. Have you ever given this type of fence any consideration?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Never thought to ask about that one? Is that accepted by most rescues? I would do about anything to get Daisy a brother or sister and would love for it to be someone her age or at least close.
Thanks..I am going to ask property manager.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
LuvMyDaisy - you might also check with other Basset Rescues int he midwest. There is a whole list of them (listed by State) at http://www.dailydrool.com/rescue.html Rescues such as Guardian Angel Basset Rescue and Mid-America Basset Rescue might be willing to adopt to an "unfenced home".

You other option is to check with local shelters and humane societies, and ask if they have a "referral" program - in other words, they would call you and let you know if they got in a basset.

A third avenue is www.petfinders.org. It lets you search by Breed and State. Lots of smaller rescues and humane shelters use petfinder.org to get their dogs' pictures out there - check that website every so often - you might find a neearby basset needing rescued!

In fact, I just did a search for "basset" in "Ohio". I got a WHOLE page of listings - most of them are basset mixes, but there are a few pure-breds on there too! Here is the link:
http://www.petfinders.org/pet.cgi

[ May 16, 2005, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Menzie ]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Lisa,

I also had problems with Ohio Basset Rescue. When I first brought Dudley home, I emailed them asking for any good information they had regarding Bassets and their care. Never heard from them.

About 3 weeks ago I emailed them asking if they could use volunteers. Again, never heard from them.

I run a rescue and I think it's a good practice to answer all emails and phone calls. It's true that you get busy and sometimes get bombarded but that's what delegation is for.

Not answering questions or at least making some type of contact leads to discussions like these on forums, and by word-of-mouth, and can really hurt your rescue.

If we didn't adopt to people without fences, we also wouldn't adopt to people with electric fences. Reason being...some dogs are brave enough to barrel through and then not come back into the yard because they'll get shocked again.

·
Registered
687 Posts
LuvmyDaisy, i have heard the same thing about bhrg as mentioned above. They turned down a potential adopter who is a friend of mine and then after my friend adopted a basset from bhra, they called her to request her to foster a hound. She didnt have a fence either. Wonder why she would be called to foster when she wasnt allowed to adopt. www.bhra.org has allowed folks to adopt hounds if they are approved otherwise and have references and like someone else mentioned understands completely that these dogs are not ever to be allowed out of a fence or the house off leash. Check out the website. Someone from Knoxville just got their new hound sometime this past week so you certainly could adopt from this group from out of state. Please keep us posted with your progress in adopting a buddy for your Daisy. May God bless and keep you.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
As Menzie says if you don't get a reply from your local rescue please try again. I'm sure not all rescues have the enough volunteers to respond to all emails regarding care and training of bassets nor are all rescue workers as efficient as Dudley's Mom. Remember they are volunteers with full-time jobs, families and their own hounds.

If you have an issue with an individual rescue organization please call or send a letter by snail mail to that organization voicing your complaint. The purppose of this forum is to promote rescue and discuss issues but not to bash individual rescue organizations.

[ May 23, 2005, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was in no way "bashing" OBR. I was simply submitting my experience to see if this practice was the same throughout other Basset Rescues as well. I have sent snail mail and email to OBR asking them questions and voicing my complaints. I was just curious as to how a hound would be better off in a kennel than in a loving home.
No offense to those who work in rescue. Again I told of my experience only to see if this was the norm for rescues.

·
Registered
866 Posts
LuvnmyDaisy, if you wouldn't mind a trip to Northeast TN, you might check with an organization listed under petfinder.com called Taking Care of God's Creatures. They are mainly a basset and lab rescue from whom we adopted our Hugh. Although we have seen them turn down potential "adoptors", we know they are truly seeking to do what is in the pet's best interests and we couldn't have been happier with our experience. Hope everything works out for you, I know how badly one can want another 4 legged fur baby with long ears. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I also was disapointed with the BR in our area. We live on three acres, also with out a fence, however we have a fenced area that was used by the previous owner as a dog run/ horse corral (it is pretty big). They denied us adoption becasue we had no fence. I do understand the reasons for wanting a fence, but if it is to prevent them from running off, i dont let my dog, now run free except in the dog run area. However, we ended up purchasing a basset of four months, Benny, and he is a TERRIFIC pup and we are ALL happy with how things turned out.In the futrue, we want to add another dog to the household, hopefully then we would try to adopt again.

You can bring children into the world freely, however you need a lisence to own a dog...go figure.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just an update...
The powers that be have blessed us with a beautiful little Basset mix named Maggie. She is 11 months old and I found her on petfinder.com at a humane society not far from where I live. Her and Daisy do run and play together and wrassle although Daisy does sometimes want alone time with Daddy or Mommy. Anyway, just wanted to let you know she is here and I am so glad we finally found her!!!

And the two sisters together...

·
Registered
511 Posts
I know the one I got Rosie & Tucker from do, basset rescue of central ca ... they have a bassedor on their website right now in fact and I've also seen a bagel on there before. Of course that doesn't help you any since you're in NC but I thought I'd let you know that they are out there.

T

·
0 Posts
I got Twinkie, a beagle/basset mix from BREW Midwest. www.brewbeagles.org. I know for certain that they have at least two more basset mixes on their Midwest adoption list right now. One named Nana (who is quite an old girl) and another named Earl (who I met at a function and who is quite sweet), who I've actually considered adopting. I think they probably only take beagle basset mixes, though, but they do have some!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our local rescue has some issues with returning messages and emails. I think it is because they are one of the largest basset rescues i've seen. They raise over $100,000 a year and there aren't enough volunteers managing the group. My wife and I are always trying to find places for them to set up shop to raise awareness at places like Petsmart or local boutiques.

We never get return messages about volunteering our time or our dogs to show off. Then about 2-3 months later we hear from the store managers that they have already come and gone. Grrr!

On the other hand they are very accomodating when it comes to adopting and helping new parents....so I guess it all works out in the end.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts