Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can purchase a bowl for my puppy so her ears dont get soaked every time she drinks. I have had people tell me there are special basset bowls but have been unable to find them.

Thanks,
Sharon

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Several years back we found a rectangular shaped bowl at PetCo made for long earred dogs. It was a very heavy molded type of plastic and worked great for Bubba, ATB, but Bogie did not like drinking from it. His nose is much more sensitive to things than Bubba's and we wondered if the plastic retained odors from the chemicals in water. Bogie has ceramic bowls as a result and wet ears. :D

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
It was a very heavy molded type of plastic and worked great for Bubba, ATB, but Bogie did not like drinking from it. His nose is much more sensitive to things than Bubba's and we wondered if the plastic retained odors from the chemicals in water. Bogie has ceramic bowls as a result and wet ears. :D[/b]

I would avoid plastic bowl especial food bowls for dogs because they are associated with dermatitis.

Feeders and Waterers Overview
Stainless steel bowls are highly recommended by veterinarians for several reasons. Stainless bowls decrease the possibility of contact dermatitis resulting from pet exposure to plastic or dyes, they last virtually forever, and their pore-free construction keeps them from harboring harmful bacteria. They are easily washed in the dishwasher[/b]
Ask Dr Mike
Contact dermatitis can cause loss of pigment in the nose -- some dogs are reported to be sensitive to the plastic that is found in some feeding bowls, for instance. Continual irritation of the nasal planum from a cause like this might lead to loss of pigment. Usually the lips are also are inflamed or may have pigment loss if they are dark, too.[/b]
FDA Website
A reaction to physically touching a substance is called contact allergy, the least common type of allergy in dogs and cats. Contact allergens include grass, wool, and plastic. Jeffers occasionally sees dogs in his clinic with "plastic dish dermatitis," an irritation to the skin on the nose caused by a reaction to an antioxidant found in a plastic food or water dish. The condition clears up when the pet is switched to a metal or ceramic dish.[/b]

The Ear-Clear Sta-Put Feeding Station however it is plastic

1 - 4 of 4 Posts