Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister took my hounds out for a walk this morning. And let them off the leash. But Henry did not return. It was a new route for him.

We've spent 6 hours in the woods, screaming and shouting and calling and whistling. And no sign. We've stopped all passers-by, and have alerted the police.

He's micro-chipped, but because bassets aren't common dogs round here - our two are the only ones in the area - I'm very very scared.

I'm absolutley devastated, and Snoops is distraught.

:( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
535 Posts
That's terrible, I don't know what I would do if one of my were missing. I feel so sad for you, I hope he shows up soon. I'll be praying for a safe return. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Praying for you! Please let us know the instant you find him. Perhaps Snoops can help you track him down?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I hope everything turns out alright. We will be praying for his safe return.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thatk y'all for your kind words and support. My sister, brother and my partner are out hunting still, I'm staying by the phone because if he's found and taken to a vets or the sanctuary, they'll scan him and get my home phone number, so I can't leave the house.

I'd send Snoopy out hunting, but he's only good at finding shiny things. He tends to find cell phones (he's found 4 in the last 6 months!) or tennis balls.

The poor boy can't understand where his brother has gone - he's sat at my feet whining, and keeps going to the window :(

K

·
0 Posts
How awful :( Hope Henry makes his way home soon.

(is this common with Bassets - I have heard they are prone to wander?)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Post pictures of him EVERYWHERE with your phone number and a reward offered for information leading to his return. Ask if you can post pictures at gas stations,restaurants,grocerystores- all places that get a lot of traffic. Go door to door.

Many years ago my Molly ran off through the corn fields behind our house and didn't return. Someone saw a poster I had put up at a local convenience store and called saying they had seen her eating road kill on a highway a few miles from my house.That helped to narrow my search.

After 4 days I came upon her walking down the middle of a highway. I jumped out of my truck and called her and she RAN FROM ME! She was tired and I ran faster, and I tackled her. Once I had my hands on her, she recognized me- but be warned, when dogs are gone for awhile alot of them will run from you when you approach them. So be prepared with treats, leash, maybe a blanket to throw over him-

You are truly in my prayers this morning- please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
What a nightmare...I sure hope you find him soon. :(
I would post a big reward. Hang in there. You're doing all the right things...
I had a friend once who's beagle just reappeared at their dog after two years!! He wanted in as if nothing had happened, and they had no idea where he was the whole time.
PLEASE keep us posted...

Sandy

·
Registered
119 Posts
is there a web site for lost dogs ?

just a thought might be worth looking

hope you find him very soon

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HE'S HOME!

I had a call 30 mintues ago from the local animal sanctuary - two girls from a farm 4 miles away found him wandering on their land, so took him in and called the sanctuary, leaving their details. Just been over to collect him. The girls didn't want to take him to the sanctuary as they said he looked too cute for kennels, so were looking after him in the farm house. He's been having a fabulous time while I've been stressed out and distrught.

It's been the worst few hours of my life :(

I'm SO relieved he's home... we're off to the petstore later today to be an extra long leash... he sure won't be off his leash again after today's big scare.

Thank you all so much for all your kind words and support. He's absolutley fine, walked into the house like nothing's happened, wolfed down his lunch and is now alseep in front of the fire.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've only had him a month, but it feels like he's always lived here. Snoopy & I were lost without our HennyBear, it was just so so horrible :(

Normally, the boys are ok when they go out with my spaniel, but Rusty is now almost completely blind. He's not as much of a scent hound as the bassets, so we don;t take him out in the dark - he falls over branches, and it's really sad :(

·
Registered
127 Posts
Glad to hear everything turned out alright. What a scare! I used to let Daisy out in the backyard without a leash, but she started stealing the kids mittens and we had to chase her around to get them back. Glad she stays on her leash all the time now. I'm sure you had a few bad hours. Tell Henny we're glad he's home!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm just catching up with things on the forum. I'm so thrilled everything turned out great for your family and Henry. I do know once those Basset noses pick up a scent, the hunting genes kick in, they don't respond to "come", and off they go. We hook two 20 foot training lines together for Bogie when we walk off the beaten path (sidewalk) so he can have some freedom. He loves it, bounds to the end, sniffs around, until we get ahead, and here he comes flying. He gets to safely roam some this way. So glad this story had a happy ending.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yay! Answered prayers! My dad used to say "Expect a miracle". So happy you got yours! :)
Elmer & Button send welcome home slobber!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Whew, I'm glad I didn't see this thread until everything had worked out.

I'm very glad Henry is home safe.

I'm sure your sister has learned her lesson about letting the hounds off the leash. :angry:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts