Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gwenny's ears need cleaned twice a week. Is this normal for some dog's to have ears that get dirtier than others? Also, how much dirt can be seen in your bassets ears on a daily basis (before you clean them) I try to make sure that there is never a speck of anything in her ears so I wipe them all the time and then do the thorough cleaning twice a week. My vet said it is normal for some dogs to have dirtier ears than normal but I just wanted to hear what you all have to say.
Because I am constantly wiping her ears, she is starting to hate getting her ears touched. I took her to vet again and there is no infection. Am I over doing it?

Also my cousin told me she uses this ear powder in her dogs ears and it helps keep them clean. Anybody know anything about this?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I could probably clean Rosco's ears every day but we decided to do it once a week or so. Of course it depends on how much time he spends outside. Lately it has been hot and I've been working at home so he and Layla spend most of their day sleeping, so there has been cleaning less often. Layla's ears are much cleaner than Rosco's. We use a combo ear wash and dry fluid that both dogs hate very much but it works wonders. When we do clean Rosco's ears we get a ton of wax, it's pretty gross.

·
Registered
160 Posts
For Woofus we use Blue power ear treatment (you make it yourself). Very easy and effective. Woofus goes out about 10 times a day, so he gets dirty ears quickly. I do about once a week to keep my sanity :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts