Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... but should I? A new nieghbor moved in two houses down from us last year. They are a nice young family with three small children and both parents work. They seem to have a busy life and are rarely home. After they moved in they got a Basset puppy. She is a cutie! The sad part is that she is ALWAYS alone, I never see cars in the driveway. They installed invisible fence and leave her outside all day by herself. Sometimes she is out at night too. She looks so sad and lonely! (But is she really? Bassets always look sad! ;) ) Today, as we passed by the house, we saw that she was just sitting in the driveway watching as cars pass by. My husband said I should stop by and ask them if we could adopt her!!! I was flabbergasted! He always said no more dogs and especially no more Bassets (due to Moe's expensive lump history). When I questioned him he told me he was serious. He really is a softy who loves animals or we never would have had so many over the years. :)

So, how could I appraoch them about it without offending them? I don't know if they have a loving relationship with this dog that I cannot see and I wouldn't want to offend them in any way. On the other hand I want to let them know that, if caring for a dog at this time in thier lives is too much for them, I would like to give her a good home. With visitation rights if they wanted... they live so close to us. I work too, but Moe and Tally are here, and two of my children are in and out all day with varying schedules.

Any advice on how to approach them and what to say?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Could you offer to "dogsit" the dog during the day, as a way of maybe easing into a transfer?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yep, dogsitting during the day and then ease into something more permanent. And you can offer them visiting priviledges! Wonder how long it would be before they forget to pick up the dog some night.

Sounds like a great solution.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think Betsy's idea is perfect. My neighbor in Phila. had a Scotish Terrier that I fell in love with. I offered to dogsit him on many occassions and it worked out perfectly for the owners & me. When we decided to move to Florida the owner asked me if I wanted the dog :blink: He said he knew I really cared for him and that I had more time for him than they did. At the time my Basset was very old and it just wasn't possible to accept his offer. They were more than happy to keep him but if I had said yes, he would have been mine.

Dogsitting will also give you the opportunity to see if the dog is a good fit for your family. I would definitely approach the neighbor and extend the offer. You just might get the answer you want! :D

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi Terry,

I was was wondering what had transpired since your first post. Were you able to broach the subject to your neighbors? My heart just aches for that poor little basset boy all alone all day.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Terry,

I was was wondering what had transpired since your first post. Were you able to broach the subject to your neighbors? My heart just aches for that poor little basset boy all alone all day.[/b]
This past week has been very busy so I have not had a chance to stop by there. My husband is hesitant after the other night. Coming home from my mother-in-law's house we were behind a truck with a Basset in it. Closer to home they signalled a turn and pulled into the Basset-neighbor's yard. I was surprised but happy to see that they do, indeed, take her out with them now and again. Perhaps she is not as neglected as it appeared. I still will try to sound them out, just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts