Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Lola has a problem. Her claws on her back feet, at the exterior of her paws don't wear off, and she won't let us clip them AT ALL. As soon as she sees the nail clipper she runs and hides. It's as if she's got a 6th sense sometimes.
We talked it over with the vet, who already clipped them twice while she was put asleep specially for that. The vet said that putting her to sleep every 2 months just to clip her nails is no sollution. Today those 2 nails are that bad that they curl up and grow into her toes. The vet said that it would be better to remove them alltogether.
I trust my vet and I know she's right. Moreover, Basset Hounds are one of the 4 only races in Belgium where such an operation is allowed. But still... I don't know.....It's a simple but bloody operation with quite a bit of aftercare and a heavy risk of infection.
Anyone gont through something like this?

Patrick

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would not amputate a Basset's claws, ever. Remember, you're not just removing the nails, you're also amputating part of the toe and some tendons. My older boy, Rebel, has turned into a basket case when it comes to nails. Here's the method I use.

1. Put slip lead around Rebel's neck.
2. Administer one very mild tranquilizer pill; prescription from Vet.
3. Put Rebel in crate.
4. Set up grooming table, nail grinder, styptic powder (just in case), etc.
5. Do one of the other dog's nails first.
6. Use slip lead to pry Rebel out of crate, carry him to grooming table, do nails.

By the time its Rebel's turn, the tranquilizer has taken effect and the poor boy is pretty relaxed, although still not crazy about the whole manicure thing. If necessary I would also use a muzzle (its not in Rebel's case).

Edited to add: I carry Rebel to the grooming table because he WON'T walk on his own, not because the tranquilizer has made him too dopey to walk. Actually, other than calming him down a little, the tranquilzer has very little effect and he's always ready for his after-nails cookie.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not amputate a Basset's claws, ever. Remember, you're not just removing the nails, you're also amputating part of the toe and some tendons. My older boy, Rebel, has turned into a basket case when it comes to nails. Here's the method I use.

1. Put slip lead around Rebel's neck.
2. Administer one very mild tranqulizer pill; prescription from Vet.
3. Put Rebel in crate.
4. Set up grooming table, nail grinder, styptic powder (just in case), etc.
5. Do one of the other dog's nails first.
6. Use slip lead to pry Rebel out of crate, carry him to grooming table, do nails.

By the time its Rebel's turn, the tranquilizer has taken effect the poor boy is pretty relaxed, although still not crazy about the whole manicure thing. If necessary I would also use a muzzle (its not in Rebel's case).[/b]
Our vet clearly said that she would only remove the claw and root, and not touch the toe at all. That was one of our worries, that she would have to touch the toe in intself. Apparently it's a simple procedure that takes about 20 minutes, no major operation.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Have you tried to desensitize your dog to nail clipping? I think I would try to do that before I had the dogs nails taken off. If necessary you could have her sedated again to have them clipped again before you are able to desensitize her completely. It does take time to desensitize a dog but I think it would be worth it. She may never totally be comfortable with it but she will probably come to accept it especially if you give her extra special treats.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Removing the nails is not something to be taken lightly, nor should it be considered 'no big deal'. You need to take some of the advice given here and clip or dremel the dog's nails whether she likes it or not. YOU'RE in charge and the dog needs to understand that. My Charlie has always hated to have his nails done, but I still do them. It isn't pleasant, it's not something I look forward, but I do it for his own good. A light tranquilizer, followed by a quick pedicure, is not going to do permanet damage to anyone!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Removing the nails is not something to be taken lightly, nor should it be considered 'no big deal'. You need to take some of the advice given here and clip or dremel the dog's nails whether she likes it or not. YOU'RE in charge and the dog needs to understand that. My Charlie has always hated to have his nails done, but I still do them. It isn't pleasant, it's not something I look forward, but I do it for his own good. A light tranquilizer, followed by a quick pedicure, is not going to do permanet damage to anyone![/b]
We've tried tranquilizers, from mild to a little heavier. All we end up with is a very 'stoned' basset hound (funny sight now I think of it), bit she still won't let us touch her toes/nails. That's why we have to go through complete sedation every 2 months or so, with all the risks.
That's why the vet proposed to remove the 2 'problem' claws once and for good. All the other ones wear off naturally.

Patrick

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
We've tried tranquilizers, from mild to a little heavier. All we end up with is a very 'stoned' basset hound (funny sight now I think of it), bit she still won't let us touch her toes/nails. That's why we have to go through complete sedation every 2 months or so, with all the risks.
That's why the vet proposed to remove the 2 'problem' claws once and for good. All the other ones wear off naturally.

Patrick[/b]

Not to be antagonistic but how does a dog that is wearing a muzzle prevent you from trimming the Nails? I have one particular touch sensitive basset not just feet that gets it nails trimmed at least every month without a huge production. It is not looked forward to but in the end takes less than 10 minute.

Item clipper

Cloth muzzle

a bag full of small pieces of cut up hot dog/sausage/cheese.

The dog is muzzle and kept occupied by one person feeding 1 piece of treat at a time on a continious basis. and I quickly trim the nails. If the dog is kept standing and the foot being worked at bent back at the wrist as most groomers do then the dog has much limited leverage to move its foot around making it prettty easy to control the foot for a percise quick trim.

Since we are talking only two nails have you tried a tradional human style nail file or emery board. While not as quick many dogs that do not like clipper have no problem with files.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts