Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have trouble with their dog (s) digging? We are going to get a pen for Sophia so she can be outside sometimes while we are at work (once she is big enough and it warms up outside in the spring). We have a very big yard but it is not fenced in....we are also located on a busy highway so I do not want to take the chance of her getting hit.....thus the pen. However, my fiance seems to think there is no reason to concrete the botttom of it .....I of course say otherwise <_< I want it concreted for two reasons: 1) to keep her from digging out and getting close to the busy road (how my last dog died :unsure: )...and 2) so it will be easier to clean out when needed. Anyone have any experience with this????

·
Registered
79 Posts
In order to reduce the cost of concreting an entire pad, could you maybe concrete around the fenceline so that she couldn't dig under?

B)

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Daisy is 5 1/2 months old and I haven't seen her do alot of digging. Although, she is digging more since it snowed, I'm assuming to get to what ever she smells underneath. I just wanted to say that when she does decide to dig something up her paws are so big that a couple of swipes and she's got a big hole. My husband built her a little pen outside, just for her to do her business in so the kids don't walk in it and it is easier to keep the yard clean. We didn't put any concrete down, but I don't work and Daisy has never gone outside by herself....ever! She is definitely a spoiled mommy's girl! :lol:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I don't think Ruby would even know how to dig....every once in a while she'll use one paw and sort of rub it around the grass to get a whiff of something (it's kinda cute when she does this).

When Ruby is out in the yard (no matter where we've lived), she's never been out there alone. One of her servants are out there with her.

In Bassetchusetts because of no fence and because of critters (squirrels, fox, skunk, possum, deer, coyote.....I'm sure I'm forgetting some) and in Florida there were snakes (YUK) in the yard, and armadillo digging under our fence on occasion and tons of squirrels which looked completely different from the Bassetchusetts squirrels......

Out here in California, well, she's just used to us being outside with her. But I know there's roof rats (haven't seen any at our house thank ALL the gods), and cats and raccoons.....and coyotes.

And Ruby is just plain spoiled and we have to be outside with her.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Growing up one of our dogs were a Samoyed. Tons of tales about that one, I think she was dropped on her head multiply times! Anyway, after she ate the bathroom (wallpaper,baseboards, cabinetsect) we fenced her in a 20'x30' yard area. We thought about concreate, but that just gets so hot on my feet, I could think of how Lancelot of Airmount would have felt. We also had a large dog house and that was on cement. Of course she figured how to climb on it and ate any of the cedar shingles she could reach.
I know this sounds kinds gross, but if you have been bginging the dog to the same spot to "do their busness) you might think about putting it there. Or you could collect the poo and keep putting it were the pen will be.
I do agree with concrete around the fence, our next dog was a husky and they love to roam. Unfortunatly she got out and was struck by a car. I had named the dog "Sandi" because I got her on my sister's b-day. I scared my parents to death screaming Sandi got hit by a car. That was the day I had my first xanax to calm my mother and I down. :(
On a lighter note, Tatsi is a digger big time. She found some change, a full pack of cigarettes , yes I told her they are bad for her! She is also helping my daughter, meet the neighbors. She is the diplomate of the St. and is offended if you don't stop and pet her, then she barks and that bark is louder then my Rottwieler's was.
Good luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When Ruby is out in the yard (no matter where we've lived), she's never been out there alone. One of her servants are out there with her.

I will definately be out with her when possible...the pen is going to be for her to be able to enjoy the nice spring and early summer weather while we are at work so that she doesn't have to be confined to the house all the time. We are planning to put it behind the house so it won't be seen from the road...and it will be locked any time she is in it....it is also covered...so no one can just climb over and help themselves to our precious Sophie :D ...oh and we have really good neighbors who I know will watch over her while we are gone

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
I will definately be out with her when possible...the pen is going to be for her to be able to enjoy the nice spring and early summer weather while we are at work so that she doesn't have to be confined to the house all the time. We are planning to put it behind the house so it won't be seen from the road...and it will be locked any time she is in it....it is also covered...so no one can just climb over and help themselves to our precious Sophie :D ...oh and we have really good neighbors who I know will watch over her while we are gone
[/b]
none of my bassets have been digger. A cheeper solution is to attach chicken wire to the bottom of the fence. Lay it on the ground and bury it with 1/2 to 3 inches of dirt. Dogs that dog to escape do so very close to the fence line. 2' to 3' side chicken wire acts as a barrier to dig. To defeat the chicken wire the dog must start the tunnel 3 feet from the fence and this never happens. Also the feel of the chicken wire is not hurt when the dog tries to dig. THis tyoe of self punishment is the most effective at stoping unwanted behavior.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Francis is definitely a digger. He digs to bury treasures and he digs because, darn it! he can. Even now, as blind as he is, if he gets a soupbone he'll become a canine pinball, bumping his way from house, to rock, ricocheting off the car and then into the shrubbery until he finds a spot to bury that thing. B) It can provide hours of entertainment. He can bury the bone over a foot deep, too.
One time, down the Cape, he dug a hole about 18 inches deep in the sand because it was cooler to lie in it.
I would try it without the hard concrete for a while until you see what Sophia is capable of.
Let us know!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the great advice.....I am not even sure she will be a digger....but I figure better safe then sorry considering what happened to my last baby :( . I will let you know what we decide :D

·
Registered
484 Posts
Of my 4 , only old Clara is a digger. But only in the flowerbeds :D

However, I have found that the gang, if they can find a tiny opening, they WILL push themselves under the fence. So we`ve had to Basset-proof the bottom of the fence with boards down to the ground, and have made sure that there are no other holes to get through. And I must say, it really is amazing,- it doesn`t take a big hole. A lot smaller than you think!

·
Registered
511 Posts
OK, time for a reply from someone that has a hound named Digger. I haven't had much trouble with fence digging, but I do have holes next to the house, and where ever I dug myself. One time after trenching in an electrical line to a shed, I came home to find the wire strung all over the yard. Good thing it wasn't a live wire. I had to line the trench with rocks and bricks until the ground settled.

I should also mention that I have never had to trim Digger's nails. Here's a picture of my two digging in the garden.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hilarious pic of the boys... :lol: ......It won't really bother me if Sophia is a digger...I just really don't want her to get out of her pen and make her way to the busy highway....I think I have convinced my fiance that concrete is the way to go B)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts