Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My 2-year old basset has just started digging in our lawn, which she has never really done before. I know dogs dig, but being a stubborn basset she doesn’t listen well when I tell her to stop. Is this a common issue with bassets? Besides walking beside her every time she goes in the backyard I don’t know what to do.
She does tend to go through phases, picks a behaviour and repeats it for a few weeks so I’m hoping she’ll stop soon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi,

My 2-year old basset has just started digging in our lawn, which she has never really done before. I know dogs dig, but being a stubborn basset she doesn’t listen well when I tell her to stop. Is this a common issue with bassets? Besides walking beside her every time she goes in the backyard I don’t know what to do.

She does tend to go through phases, picks a behaviour and repeats it for a few weeks so I’m hoping she’ll stop soon.

It’s usually boredom and / or lack of exercise.

What do you do for activities with her, and how often?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
if the digging is along the fence line it can be a means of escape in which case laying 2-3 ft wide chicken wire on the ground along the fence line. Attach the edge of chicken wire to bottom of fence. Bury chicken wire with about 1" of soil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 14 yr old male (George) only digs when I fail to provide adequate attention. He could care less about any mice, mole, crawdad, etc. Now show him a squirrel or rabbit you better have your running shoes on. He caught a squirrel and just held it in his mouth. He was quite perturbed when I released the squirrel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks for you suggestions.

We do have chipmunks in our yard but she just likes to watch them - literally will just stare at then for hours 😂

She seems to have stopped so thinking it was just a phase but we’ll keep a close eye on her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts