Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl Penny has never been a digger. Our backyard is fenced in and the dogs have access through a doggy door. We just put in a new fence and Penny dug out yesterday and today. Luckily there are a lot of dog people in the neighborhood, so both times somebody took care of her. She is extremely smart and I'm sure now that she's figured out how to escape she's going keep digging out. I'm sure others have had this problem and was wondering what you did to curb this behavior. Also curious if maybe there was some kind of spike type product that we might be able to drive into the ground around the fence itself to deter her from digging. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
When dogs dig to escape the dig close to the fence so if you take about 3 feet wide roll of epoxy coated wire fence attach it to the bottom of the existing fence and lay it on the ground and cover it with a couple inches of dirt. The dog dig close to the existing fence so it never digs up the dge of the 3 foot fencing on the ground and that fencing act as a barrier and deterent to diging as well.

Rather than simply adding dirt on top of the fencing it is possible to bury it in the existing lawn/dirt but this requires diging it uop then laying it back down which is more work.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah Mikey, I knew you'd have some input on this dilemma. Thanks, it does sound like a good solution. Not sure how the husband will feel about the manual labor involved though. He's gotten a bit soft lately.

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
Not sure how the husband will feel about the manual labor involved though. He's gotten a bit soft lately.
A lot less work than pouring a cement pad.

he does have the option of hiring the teenager down the street. You might get away with simply steaking the wire fencing to the ground. rather than burying it It is a bit more risky and the dog is more likely to challenge the attachment of the two fencing materials.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Here's one of my diggers.

As you can see, I kept adding cinderblocks to the escape routes. Not the most effective solution. I eventually added a bottom rail, and buried some chicken wire type of stuff that people use to keep rabbits out of their gardens.

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
and buried some chicken wire type of stuff that people use to keep rabbits out of their gardens.
the only problem with non-coated wire is burries in the ground it tends to rust out quickly but often by that time the dog has given up on digging.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Oh my! The pic of the basset digging is hilarious. I'm sorry, I know it tore up your yard, but I can only laugh and think glad it wasn't mine!

My girl digs allllll the time. I am in a townhouse so she's not outside unless she's on a leash so there's no digging out there. She likes to dig into the carpet (which can become costly), and she's been a big digger when she's trying to "find her spot" on the couch or on her doggie bed. She just digs and scratches until she finally lays down. It's kind of cute, but I'll probably have to replace her bed at some point if she keeps it up!

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
OK – when I look at those photos all I can say is OMG!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts