Basset Hounds Forum banner

Digger has passed Dozer!

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Valerie and George 
#1 ·
Digger now out weighs Dozer by 4 lbs :eek: . The Vet said they were on the thin side at their last check up in December, so I've been feeding them more.
Digger is 1 year-6 months and now weighs 60 lbs :shock:, gaining 7 lbs since vet visit. Dozer is 1 year-9 months and weighs 56 lbs, gaining just 4 lbs since vet visit.
Going by the recommended "look and feel", Digger is close to looking the correct weight, but Dozer would look better if he also weighed 60 lbs.

#2 ·
I had Shyla at the vet and she weighed 53 lbs. (3 lbs. up from November) and they told me she was overweight and that I needed to cut back on the snacks and the people food. In fact, after the vet walked away, the technician told me I was literally loving her to death and that if I kept letting my kids give her lots of treats and bits of whatever they were eating that they would end up killing her. I was so upset when I walked out. I really don't see Shyla as being too overweight.

#3 ·
The Vet told me, because of their bone structure, that both Digger & Dozer could be a healthy 70 lbs when fully grown. Dozer may not get that high, but Digger is slightly taller and longer than Dozer, so he could easily be over 70 lbs. He's only 10 lbs from it, and only 1 & half years old.

#4 ·
Lisa, I wouldn't let what the vet said upset me so much. Some people are SO against giving a dog any sort of people food at all that they'll say anything to make you stop. If she's not fat -- can you feel her ribs? -- and if she's not allergic (she'll scratch a lot when she's eaten something she's allergic to) then treats aren't going to hurt her. George eats little else BUT people food most days and he's fine; the vet said so and I can tell by his level of activity and behavior as well as the condition of his coat and color of his tongue and gums.

#5 ·
It was that she was just to emphatic and rude about it. I must say that when we got home she got treats just in case the tech made her feel bad!! LOL I am VERY guilty about giving her treats but do try to stay away from giving her too much people food but she does manage to snatch quite a bit from my 5 year old due to him being closer to the ground like her! :lol:

She was very funny last night because I always buy snausages for her and she loves them. Well, I had also bought some pupperoni sticks last week and have been giving them to her all week. Well last night I went to give her a snausage and she wouldn't even smell it and I was holding it right in front of her. She gave me this look like I can't even explain like I was stupid or something until I gave her the pupperoni stick which she happily took to the living room to eat!

No, she's not spoiled!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.