Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we took Sophie to the Emergency Vet this morning at 5:00 a.m. because we thought she had bloat. She was listless and wouldn't move and her belly seemed tight. anyway, long story short, after two xrays, she didn't have bloat, just a couple gas pockets and lots of backed up stool.

My question -- those of you who feed pumpkin with food to help digestion -- how much do you feed? I saw on one website they recommend 1/2 teaspoon with food for a 50 - 70 lb dog. It seems like I've read here where people feed more than that, like 1/4 or 1/2 cup. Just want to know so I give her the right amount. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Most people that feed pumpkin do so to add bulk without calories therefore it is more for weight control rather than a digestion add as such the formula recommend by Chris Zink, DVM, PhD is to reduce the consumption of regular dog food by 1/3 and replace with twice as much pumpkin. if you feed 3 cups of dog food a day feed 2 cups of dog food with 2 cups pumpkin.

A

·
0 Posts
I started using pumpkin in my dogs food to help with stool consistency. I think I read about it in the Bugler. Speedy tended to have softer stool and Shami seemed to sometimes have a hard time going. I give them a teaspoon daily with just one of their meals and I've noticed a big difference with Speedy. Shami sometimes tended to scoot but doesn't seem to do that much at all now so it's helped the anal glands. Now that we have Laci, she also gets some just because--I mean really why should she be left out :)

A

·
0 Posts
I use about a 1/4 of a can. It's really firmed up His Majesty's stools well and he does seem to be losing a little weight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your responses. I'll probably go with the lower one, just because I want to use it more as a stool softener than a weight loss strategy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts