Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nice in Texas just sent us this. She received it from a friend who is a dog lover,
and wanted to pass the information on to others to prevent another tragedy from
happening.
*******************************************************************
Worth the read.....If your 4 legged best friend loves raisins....

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever
seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that
ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on
Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday
but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM. I had heard somewhere
about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal
paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime,
I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard
something about it, but....

Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said
to give IV fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the
next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27)
and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney
function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids.
Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7
with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute
renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output
overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values havecontinued to
increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different
anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine
output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus
was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150,
skyrocketed to 220..

He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize. yhis is a very sad case -
great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone
you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins
or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as
treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio
******************************************************************************
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I have heard of that, I don't know where from though. I have been told that chocalate and onions are also very toxic.

Has anyone else heard of this??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
I had no idea, thanks so much for the info.

~Heather
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
I just heard about the toxicity of onions, raisins, and grapes. I knew about chocolate, but did not know why it was bad. I guess they all have some kind of acid or something that damages the liver/kidneys, kind of like alcohol does in humans. Scary! You have to watch those hounds, though, as they get into and eat everything.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top