Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a long time lurker and enjoyed reading this board (often while bored at work!) I had to register and it took a day or two. I know there already is a post on Diamond Dog Food but I felt what I had to say was fresh and important. Our local pet food supplier says people are STILL coming in to ask for it, and the news (internet) is just plain awful, over 100 dogs confirmed dead as a result. Mine was one. What people don't seem to realize is that it is not one bowl that kills them, and the impact may not be seen for many days after ceasing the intake.

I'll try to write this. I'm 54, have had a Basset since 15, indulged in owning two since was 40. Last May, we aquired Annabelle as a puppy to join Maggie the elder (now almost 13). So, I've lost several dogs to old age and it's always painful. This was just awful. She started on the tainted batch end of November, got her off with the recall around Christmas. We thought all was well, as except for a reduction in appetite she seemed fine. In retrospect, she KNEW there was something wrong with the food, this is confirmed in other cases. We now recall that for first time around Christmas she started to jump up to counters looking for food. Hindsight is really great, but we don't feel any guilt, just incredible sadness.

New Years day she was off. Wanted lots of water, threw it up. We still thought we were far enough away from when she had this food it was just something else, plus she had no yellow gums or eyes. Did notice the dark stool, but was not yet aware that was a symptom. By that night we had her at emergency vet, by next morning we had to have her put down. Won't go into the details, but it was total metabolic collapse and very unpleasant. Costly too; took her from emergency vet at 8 am to specialty clinic, total $1,500. I'd write a check for ten times that to erase the last two weeks.

Why am I writing all this to a board of fellow Basset lovers? It's not for sympathy, it's just to impress upon all of us how nasty this stuff is and how IMPORTANT IT IS TO LET ANYONE WHO MAY STILL HAVE THIS STUFF TO ACT NOW.

I spoke with someone at Diamond, actually a vet who was very nice (well big woop). I faxed in my bills and invoice for what was the neatest Basset ever, no offense to all the others or Maggie who's doing her best to hold us together. My sadness is turning to anger. If they rapidly respond with compensation and apology, I will just drop it and move on. If there is any cover your ass or excuse or delay, I will spend whatever amount it costs me to punish them without mercy. It really isn't about the money, it is about integrity, doing the right thing, and honoring the memory of my beloved Basset Annabelle.

Anyway, please join me doing whatever we can to spread the word. Upon the second invitation from our local pet supplier we even were interviewed on the local news since we thought our story might help. I'd just hate to think that there was something I could have done to have saved someone else from this pain and I didn't do it.

May your Hounds be well and we all have a better New Year than ours started out!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. This has turned into such a terrible tragedy for so many. :(

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this. I am sorry for the loss of your beloved companion. What a terrible way to lose her!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I am so very sorry in your loss. It is a terrible thing to happen-

[ January 07, 2006, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Basset Momma ]

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
My heart just aches to read what you and your beloved Annabelle went through. I can't imagine Diamond wouldn't jump to pay for the vet bills. I'd like to see all their foods off the market.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Firstly, so sorry for your loss. :(

Thank you for posting this, and for going public with your story, it may prevent others from going through what you did. Please let us know the response you get from the dog food company.

Sandy

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I am really really sorry. :(

This has turned out to be so horrible for so many people. I honestly think, if Diamond doesn't at the least pay your vet bills, you might want to consider a class action suit against them. I'm not a fan of lawsuits, not by any means --- but so many dogs and people have been affected, and there have been some significant problems in Diamond's initial response to this, problems which led to even more tragedies, AFAIC.

For now, though, all I can say is I am very, very sorry. :(

T

·
0 Posts
Thank you so much for your post. I think if I had any of the brands of Diamond food around my house, I would just pitch it and start over with something else. At this point, I'm not so sure that Diamond is being truthful with people and I would not take the chance that there is more going on with their food than they might be wlling to admit. If you have any, no matter which Diamond plant its from, I would throw it out.

We're so sorry for your loss of sweet Annabelle. We pray for your grief to be eased.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Info on Cornell website. Seems pretty up to date. Cornell on Aflatoxin

I hope that Diamond has send out letters to veterinarians warning them about the contaminated food. I learned about it on December 20th and on December 25th my veterinarian had not heard about it-she learned of it from me. I feel badly for not calling her right away. Next time I won't assume she was notified. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I think it was the corn in the food that was contaminated? My dogs eat Kirkland, which is made by Diamond but does not contain corn and we've had no problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts