Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Kirska, I don't have a dog that has diabetes but I do have a cat that has diabetes. I took him to vet for a tooth and he had lost alot of weight and she did blood work and his Blood sugar was in the 400's. It should be like 80 to 100 or so, same as a persons. Basically his liver was taking all his food and storing it. After I got talking to vet, I had notice he drinks alot of water and pees alot. Signs that I had missed.

Jack was diagnose the first part of December, and it is adjustment still for us. He has to have a insulin shot ever 12 hours. So we have to always keep that in mind in planning anything. He is also on special food that is high in fiber and low in Carbs. The roughest part we are having is getting him to eat. Once his sugar dropped he don't want the high fiber food anymore and it is hard getting him to eat.

Having a animal with diabetes is sort of like having a person with it. They can't have alot of stuff with carbs/sugars.

I don't know if that help you at all since it is a cat I am comparing the hound too. I live in a small town so it is not only a learning experience with my me it is for my vet too, she hasn't had to many animals with diabetes before.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts