Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I just want to give a heads up to summer season and the dangers out in the yards for our hounds.

Sunday (Father's Day), we went to visit my parents home. Dexter came along and he was tied up in the backyard to play. He was really good all day. Except he didn't get along with my parents dogs. (Imagine Dexter was growling at a huge Doberman) :(

The summer is just starting an we are going to be very cautious with Dexie around the grass and Bees. The vet said this is a reaction he will probably have with stings so I have to carry Benadryl with me at all times. (Well just glad it's not deadly for him and have to use an
epi-pen.)

So......heads up everyone on those pesky insect bites with the hounds!

[ June 22, 2004, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Dexter's Mom ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
799 Posts
What a scare! Glad to hear he came thru it like a champ! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,902 Posts
Same thing happened to Buffet a few years ago (bee sting, vomiting, facial swelling), at a dog show. I had to schlep her to the emergency vet, and then got a flat tire driving home from southern California. That was a really bad trip, but at least Buffet didn't suffer any lasting ill effects from the bee sting. :)

[ June 22, 2004, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,249 Posts
When Yogi was a pup, something stung him. I came home and found half his little face swollen up like a baloon. :roll: ). By the time i realized I should call the vet, it had started going down.

Whew. We never identified what it was and it's never happened again, but it was pretty scary.

I have horrible allergies and have always taken Benadryl off and on. With the off and on part being key here.

Last summer, I'd been off the Benadryl for several weeks, even though half the things I'm most allergic to were in full gear.

I opened a window one night and fell asleep on the sofa ... on to wake up breaking out in hives with my throat swelling up. :roll:
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Biscuit, you might want to talk to an allergist and look into carrying a "bee-sting kit". A close friend of mine has a serious allergy to nuts and one night she went in to an anaphylactic state after inadvertently ingesting some peanut oil. SHe had never had such a severe reaction before but she's a physician herself and had a premonition that one might come in handy some day.
Thank God she did because even though there were two other physicians at the table (including my ex)who performed CPR she still ended up hospitalized. The only reason she's alive is because she had that kit.

[ June 22, 2004, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Beverly Anne Cawley ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
Same thing has happened to Pearl, twice. (Me, too twice--only I ended up with a foot so swollen I had to get a disabled parking sticker for a week. She just looked silly for a day. ) Now I keep Benadryl around. We have yellow jackets that fly close to the ground (basset level), and they are aggressive beasts. I have yellow jacket traps too, and they help some. If it happens again, I'll take her to the vet right away, since airway swelling is a concern. She was mighty sick for a day (vomiting) but with some Benadryl and rest, got over it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,249 Posts
Originally posted by Beverly Anne Cawley:
Biscuit,  you might want to talk to an allergist and look into carrying a \"bee-sting kit\".  A close friend of mine has a serious allergy to nuts and one night she went in to an anaphylactic state after inadvertently ingesting some peanut oil.  SHe had never had such a severe reaction before but she's a physician herself and had a premonition that one might come in handy some day.
Thank God she did because even though there were two other physicians at the table (including my ex)who performed CPR she still ended up hospitalized.   The only reason she's alive is because she had that kit.
Thanks, I'll check that out. I've been stung by just about everything and have never had a reaction. But I'm terribly allergic to mold, dust, and all kinds of pollens. My whole family is, though, and much worse than me --- everyone's always going itno shock over something and having big asthma attacks and whatnot :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Awwww.. poor little guy! You know, I just never think about animals being stung by bees... unless they mess with a hive or something. But, we learn something new everyday. Thanks for the heads-up!!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top