Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
I also adopted a 4 year old male basset in May. We had a lot of problems with the growling and showing teeth in the beginning if he was asked to do something he didn't want to do. My trainer suggested spraying him with Bitter Apple spray when he did it. That worked for us. Of course, you can't walk around with a spray bottle all the time, but if I knew I was going into a situation where he would growl--like moving from my spot on the couch--then I had it ready.

Elliot was so bad at first that my husband wanted me to return him to the pound. After many tears he agreed to try the trainers suggestion--I'm so glad it worked. Mine is not a chewer, so I don't have any help there. Good luck!

BTW, Elliot is not treat or food motivated either, unless it is something really good like chicken or bacon. I thought I had the only non-food hound around! When we were in obedience classes it was just a joke, as there was nothing to reward him with other than a big hug. He would respond to that--if he was in the mood. We had a lot of "flat basset" going on!

· Registered
11 Posts
Bitter apples is a spray that is used on surfaces as a deterrent for chewing such as furniture, so any so called trainer that suggested spraying a dog with it - where it's face - wouldn't get any future business from me or recommendation, barbaric.
Bitter Apple is also used to spray directly on dogs to keep them from chewing themselves, and from licking hot spots. There is nothing in it harmful to the dog. It is just bitter. I love my trainer. She has years of experience with hounds and owns two bassets herself so she knows the challenges of the breed. Her advice literally kept Elliot from being sent back to the pound as my husband was adamant we weren't keeping the dog. After a few weeks of using the spray he no longer growled at us.

Of course it's not the right solution for every dog. No solution is. Mine doesn't care for treats, so it's hard to reward him. I was just sharing what worked for us.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts