Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angry:

I have two Bassets - Molly who is 5 and Max who is 2. Max is a rescue who came to me 1 year ago. He is fully potty trained and doggy door trained and is wonderfully affectionate... however... Max pees and poops in the house often. I can't figure out if he is angry and scared or what. Yesterday we were gone most of the day and when we got home at 5 everything was fine. Last night he was sitting on the couch watching a movie with us and he jumped off and went into the bathroom and pooped and peed. When we got up this morning he had peed again in the very same spot!

This has gone on for several weeks. We have lived in 3 different places since he arrived so that may be it.

His sister Molly doesn't do this at all.

Any suggestions on a direction to help him stop this behaviour?

dave

·
Registered
12,947 Posts

I . I can't figure out if he is angry and scared or what.
dave[/b]
A dog is either housetrained or their not. Trying to assign motivation to the behavior is not helpful in solving the problem. This can be with once trained dogs as well the reason why they lost/ignore the previous training is realatively unimporant in correcting the problem provide it is not because of a medical issue.

1. Dog develop a substraite prefference, A dog the pees and ppos in the house will over time develop a prefference to have that feeling under it s feet when it goes. It would rather pee an poop in the house than outside so will activly avoid doing so unless you take control of the situation to prevent it. Teach an older dog is no different than a younger one only that more patience and dedication are reuquired because know you have to over come ingrained habits beside instilling new acceptable ones

2. Dogs unlike cats actively seek oiut the same spots to go. so it is essential when cleaning up the area be deoderized as well. Ezematic type cleaner general work best for this type of cleanup especial on urine. That has a tendecy to linger and over time attractbacteria. The use of a black light under which old urine stain florecess makes find old stains easier and critical to stoping a vicious cycle.

3. For the best article on house train see; Housetraining Your Puppy
pay attention to how dogs develop a substrate prefference. If you have difficulty getting to to go outside the follow hint might be useful Potty Training Tip
Get an x-pen, also called a puppy pen or an exercise pen. They're small pens made of heavy metal wire fencing. They give the pup an area not too much bigger than a large crate, and they sit right on the ground. Set up the x-pen in a grassy area with nothing else on the ground inside it, use a few tent stakes to stake it to the ground so it can't be knocked over if the pup jumps up against it, and put her inside. She doesn't come out to sniff, or play or go inside, until she goes potty. As soon as she goes potty, out she comes with much rejoicing, apply treats to puppy liberally, and then it's play/explore time, or whatever else she wants to do. Her reward for pottying is to get out of "potty prison".[/b]

·
Registered
460 Posts

I have two Bassets - Molly who is 5 and Max who is 2. Max is a rescue who came to me 1 year ago. He is fully potty trained and doggy door trained and is wonderfully affectionate... however... Max pees and poops in the house often. I can't figure out if he is angry and scared or what. Yesterday we were gone most of the day and when we got home at 5 everything was fine. Last night he was sitting on the couch watching a movie with us and he jumped off and went into the bathroom and pooped and peed. When we got up this morning he had peed again in the very same spot!

This has gone on for several weeks. We have lived in 3 different places since he arrived so that may be it.

His sister Molly doesn't do this at all.

Any suggestions on a direction to help him stop this behaviour?

dave[/b]

Hi, I can sympathize, having gone through the same thing with a rescue. Sally is somewhat incontinent, she does not have good muscle control. I do not believe all bassets are housetrainable-sometimes she gets outside and other times she doesn't. It just is.

I hope your can sort this out-is there any way to find out if this was happening before you got him, i.e. was he in foster? Ourt pup was outside most of her life before she came to us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I can sympathize, having gone through the same thing with a rescue. Sally is somewhat incontinent, she does not have good muscle control. I do not believe all bassets are housetrainable-sometimes she gets outside and other times she doesn't. It just is.

I hope your can sort this out-is there any way to find out if this was happening before you got him, i.e. was he in foster? Ourt pup was outside most of her life before she came to us.[/b]
Thanks for your support - I appreciate the kind words. I was told he was housetrained when he arrived and the problem is a strange one. He has 3 places that he pees. I keep the bathroom door closed and that fixes one of them. Another is in the hall of the dressing room. I have moved his food there so now it is part of his house and that has stopped it there. The only one left if a post in the dining room. That one appears to be a marking issue. No matter how many ties I clean it and disenfect it he has done it again within a couple of hours.

We are still working on it and hope for the best. Bassets are wonderful but challenging.

dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts