1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H

·
0 Posts
I guess my favorite would be the Boston/French Bulldog combo - I think it's the sad eyes! Always was a sucker for that!

Speaking of sucker, I ordered a sweatshirt from www.dogshoppe.net with a Basset embroidered on it. The shirt turned out to be a man's sweatshirt - one the company called "unisex", although it didn't state that in their ad. It came and was too big in the shoulders and too snug in the hips so I wanted to return it. They said no way! It was unrefundable because they claim it's custom made. I went back to their ad and sure enough, at the very bottom it sated just that. I told them that they should put that up front in big print so people see it before buying. I guess I'll wear it anyway, but I will never do business there again!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I like the Boston/bulldog combo too, he looks so tiny and sweet! I'm a sucker for big sad eyes too...

Isn't "designer dog" so much nicer-sounding than "mutt"? ;)

Edited to add:

BTW, I was in a Hallmark shop today and they had the cutest mugs, I found a green one with a basset pup in a green high-top tennis shoe. Very cute but they wanted $12.50 for it. A leeetle pricey, I thought....

[ March 08, 2006, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: BarbR ]

A

·
0 Posts
I wonder if this is safe breeding? Wouldn't there be issues with conflicting temperaments? But then again ...some of the best dogs are "mutts".

·
Registered
662 Posts
aww! They're cute. I like the "Puggle" (Beagle / Pug mix).

I wouldn't try some of those cross breeds on purpose though heh.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Faye:
I wonder if this is safe breeding?  Wouldn't there be issues with conflicting temperaments?  But then again ...some of the best dogs are \"mutts\".
I would think you'd have to be somewhat careful as in relation to size, and temperament. I'd be afraid I'd come out with some schizophrenic homicidal monster if I inadvertently mixed the wrong breeds.

The one that puzzled me is the French Bulldog/Boston terrier mix. He looks very tiny. I know the size of a Boston, but evidently French Bulldogs aren't very big? I thought all varieties of bulldogs were fairly big?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
There are probably others on the forum who have more information on this, but my impression of this trend is pretty negative. I became aware of 'designer dogs' when my 30 year old neice who lives in Florida,and who knows nothing about dogs, read an article praising hypo-allergenic maltese/mini-poodle designer dogs. She contacted a 'breeder(?)' in California and was shipped an adorable $1800 pup!!!!! :eek: :eek: To me there was something wrong with this scenario- I really wonder what market these people are merchandising to- what did Phineas T. Barnum say?

[ March 08, 2006, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: murraysmom ]

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
No point in buying one for $1800 when you can adopt one from the pound for about $50. :roll:

[ March 08, 2006, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
316 Posts
I believe every breed of dog has to start somewhere, but the breeders doing these mixes are in it purely for the money. I find it quite irresponsible myself.

Betsy hit the nail right on the head.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I thought that was what you were getting at! :D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well...they change the name to "Designer Dog", so they can charge $1800!!!
I adopted my Henrietta (basset/beagle mix) for $75 only.

Eventhough, I really like the Goldenoodle or the Laboodle.

·
Registered
369 Posts
(OK - into every parade, a little rain must fall. So, get out your umbrellas all you Faux Bullbo (or whatever) lovers....)

That THING looks like a science experiment gone completely wrong! It looks like a cross between a Suzy Sad Eyes doll, a Roswell alien and a cheap carnival prize (another nod to P.T. Barnum).

Mutts ARE great, but they still have to be somewhat attractive, and a LOT less money! You don't pay diamond prices for cubic zirconia!

PS- Phineas would be a great basset name!

[ March 08, 2006, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Scratch & Sniff ]

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
I believe every breed of dog has to start somewhere, but the breeders doing these mixes are in it purely for the money.
Thats the essences of it. Original dog breeds occured out of a job for the dogs. Tracking, retreaving, protection, hearding etc. The form of the dog follows the function. There is no purpose/function for designer dogs other than make money for the breeder.

It is a point one of Betsy's Favorites :roll: Ray Coppinger makes, that the sport of conformation overall is bad for dogs. Breeding a dog for looks and looks alone is not good for the species [domestic canine), breeding for a purpose is. I wouldn't go quite so far but for many breeds an over emphysis on conformation has led to deterioration of the breed.
From[http://www.canine-genetics.com/Mutation.htm]ELIMINATING MUTATION THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM [/URL] Dalmatians, for example, are all deficient in an enzyme required for correct uric acid metabolism. The mutant gene appears to be closely linked to one of the genes for the characteristic spotted pattern and was likely inadvertently fixed when early breeders selected for that pattern (Nash, 1990).

A

·
0 Posts
Very interesting! Wonder what a "designer breeder" would call the Fredder? Half bulldog, half basset, all attitude...

A

·
0 Posts
This kind of thing gets on my wick. It is just a stupid trend. There are so many cross breed dogs out there getting destroyed every year because no one wants them. I"m so sick of it. here in Barcelona the number of animals killed every year is outrageous. What happens when you buy a 'designer dog' what happens if he or she breeds with another dog, you get a mutt, then what? It doesn't look so cute and voila, no one wants it.
And for god's sake, French Bulldogs are the sturdiest, most robust healthy cheerful little chaps of all time, why would you want to mix it with a Boston terrier?
Gah!
Arlene and Opus.

A

·
0 Posts
thirty plus years ago I had what was classed an accident between a chow and an old english sheepdog, from my point of view we had 15 years of enjoyment and love but if that was luck or not I don't know.

A

·
0 Posts
MY first dog was a mutt- he looked ike the dog 'Freeway' from Heart to Heart-if anyone remembers that show. He lived until he was 16 and I loved him more than anything. I'm not knocking mutts, but to deliberately cross breed dogs because it is a trend worries me something rotten. Everyone wants a puggle right now as they are de rigeur in Hollywood, so naturally back yard breeder are going to try and cash in, but what happens then? More and more dogs, less and less scruples. And when puggles stop being fashionable, like dalmations stopped a few months after 101 Dalmations? What then?

·
Registered
173 Posts
$5 to adopt my "designer bagel". No way in heck would I ever pay $900+ for a mix breed. I may pay through the nose for a clone of my Sally Dog though. Nah, probably a lot cheaper to find another basset/shepherd mix on petfinder

1 - 20 of 24 Posts