Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I just brought my seven and half year old Basset for her annual checkup. The vet reported that her gums were receding and not in good shape. He said she most likely will need surgery to fix the problem which will be 3-4 hours and cost between $900-$1300. I thought that was a bit expensive because I also have an eight year old Basset who is going in tomorrow for his checkup, and the vet said he may have a similar problem. Last year their teeth were and gums were fine but had some tarter. Normally I wipe down their teeth and give them Greenies. In the past i've tried unsucessfully to brush their teeth. Anyway, if the eight year old has the same issue it would cost over $2000. (2 Bassets) I opted to have the seven and half year old's teeth cleaned next week and x-rays taken. In six months we'll recheck to see the gum recession has slowed down or improved. If it continues the dental surgery will probably be needed, but i will probably ask for a second opinion. Has anyone else had had this issue? My first Basset never had this problem. In the meantime the vet recommended I wipe off their teeth daily and give them Dental Bones. Does anyone know where I can buy dental bones in bulk? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I would be going to a different vet for a second opinion.

My Ginger and Lucy both have a great deal of gum recession, and have both had multiple tooth extractions, Ginger even has a hole in the roof of her mouth, but our vet has never recommended surgery like this.

Some vets are a little...er...knife happy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I agree. She's in having her teeth cleaned today, and will go in for another dental checkup in a few months. If the vet continues to push the need for surgery, I will seek another opinion. My eight older Basset's teeth were in great shape so that was good news.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
What would the vet do to "fix" the problem? Spencer just had a dental in June. He was going in to have a cyst removed from his back, so while he was under, the vet did the dental also. He had his teeth cleaned & ended up having 10 teeth pulled. He also has very receding gums, but the vet only removed the teeth that were either decaying or loose. She didn't do anything to treat the receding gums. I wasn't aware that anything could be done to fix them. I'd have to check my bill to see what the dental portion cost, but the whole thing cost around $900. The majority was for the cyst removal and some extras they did because of his age & a past problem he had with anesthesia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is the therapy of choice for complicated crown fractures or wear in which there is damage to or danger of exposure of pulp to environmental pathogens. Root canal therapy involves removal of the pulp and replacement with an inert material, concurrently restoring the approximate anatomically normal appearance of the tooth. If you've ever had a toothache, imagine how much worse it would be, if like your dog you had a whole mouthful of rotting teeth.Your dog would probably feel a whole lot better having his rotting teeth removed Rotten teeth are very painful, it's just that dogs are so stoic about showing pain.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think there are some vets out there who use "gum disease" to finance their kids' college educations. Once when I took Stomps to the vet, the first thing the vet said was that he needed a dental. I pointed out that he'd cleaned Stomps' teeth not three months prior. It was embarrassing and the last time I took my boys to that vet. I too would recommend a second opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts