Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to being a dog owner for Basset Hounds. My BFF has two.
I looked around on the web for dental hygiene tips. Ned's breath at times is something to be desired, however, his sister Nina's breath is not as bad most of the time.

I wanted to know any information on what treats work best. As well as any other dental information I could try.

I did purchase some dental bones. However they are so expensive. Do they need to have dental bones or can regular bones do the trick as well??

Thanks for reading & replying.
Emily

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
For dental hygiene purposes, I brush my dogs' teeth, using a dog tooth brush, which can be purchased at PetsMart and PetCo, and kiddie flavored toothpaste. Crest "Sparkle Fun" is a big hit at my house. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Bassets love getting their teeth cleaned, especially with the poultry flavoured toothpaste, when they both try to get their teeth done together, whereas when I use the mint/tea tree toothpaste, they're not in quite the same rush to be done together!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I gave Lightning a chewie that is supposed to clean his teeth, and I think it cracked one! So be careful. I would brush your dog's teeth rather than depend on treats to do it. Also, if his breath is particularly bad, have the vet check him out. Tooth abscesses and other oral infections can cause terribly bad breath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts