Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone with experience with this? We are fostering a 5 month old basset puppy that has been diagnosed with it. I'm giving her Ivomec (sp?). The vet said it may be 6 months before she looks better and that the condition would get worse before it gets better. Any suggestions on speeding this up? Any signs I should look for to catch a bacterial infection? Thanks!
ACS

[ August 08, 2005, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Lucy & Huck ]

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My girl, Bella, had it at about that age. Just a little spot by her mouth. We used a cream, and it cleared up within a month or so, and never returned. They told me the same thing--it would get worse betfore it got better--I think that's because the hair falls out, and takes some time to grow in--and it did. There's nothing to speed it up. My understanding is that it is the result of an immature immune system, and as the immune system catches up with the rest of the dog, it should go away. I do believe they don't get too concerned if it reoccurs once or twice, but should eventually go away, or be confined to small spots. Maybe Betsy has some links for you.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts