Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. We still don't have our houndie. We are waiting for friends to bring him home to us, as we can't drive that far right now, we were just up that way 2.5 weeks ago. 10 Hours is too long with our 2 boys. We do not want to send him on a plane either, plus right now may be too cold. Or do you think once it warms up that would be ok? I can imagine it would be traumatizing in the cargo department for him. I was wondering if any one knew of the proper ettiquite on the picking up/delivery of a dog from a breeder. What i am trying to ask is..........Do you think it would be out of line for me to ask the breeder to drive half way to meet us so we can have our boy sooner rather than later? I know it sounds like a stupid question, it's just that i am soooo full of anticipation to get him, especially when i read about how much love all of your hounds are bringing into your home. We just want to get him home with us asap.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi everyone. We still don't have our houndie. We are waiting for friends to bring him home to us, as we can't drive that far right now. We do not want to send him on a plane either, plus right now may be too cold. I was wondering if any one knew of the proper ettiquite on the picking up/delivery of a dog from a breeder. What i am trying to ask is..........Do you think it would be out of line for me to ask the breeder to drive half way to meet us so we can have our boy sooner rather than later? I know it sounds like a stupid question, it's just that i am soooo full of anticipation to get him, especially when i read about how much love all of your hounds are bringing into your home. We just want to get him home with us asap.

Thanks guys![/b]

Just my opinion:

I would be uncomfortable asking my breeder to meet me half way. I have been to see her about 4 times, and it's about a 7 hour drive each way. I kind of see it like the great breeders have the drugs, and I need my fix. I'm always skeptical of people willing to do anything to get rid of a dog....

That being said, I'm sure the breeder understands your anticipation. But breeders typically have a few hounds, which makes it tough to leave the house for long periods of time.

Perhaps you could tell the breeder how excited you are and if they are planning any trips, or going to any shows outside of the area that might help.. Maybe they are travellers that are looking for any reason to get out of the house...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I don't think you should feel funny about asking your breeder to meet you half way. Most breeders will try to accommodate you if possible. They will tell you if it is something they cannot do, and may suggest another way. As for shipping,it may be too cold depending where you are,on the other hand I have received a puppy from California to Pennsylvania in November(2003) and he did just fine but again the weather was pretty mild. That is a call the airlines make for you most of the time. Hope you get your puppy soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts