Basset Hounds Forum banner

Declawing??????

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Mikey T 
#1 ·
What do you think of declawing your puppy? I wanted some input on this subject because Missy is tearing up our doors. I just don't know what to do. I heard of people doing this to there dogs. Please write back!
Danielle

#2 ·
Um....no.

Just teach her not to claw at the doors.

#4 ·
Sweet mother of god.. they do this horrible thing to dogs too? :eek:

When they do this to a cat, they essentially chop off the end of it's toe, bone and all.
Look at your hand and then imagine having every finger cut off at the first joint.
It's absolutely barbaric.

Maybe your dog needs more exercise or a distraction such as a kong?
Is she crate trained? Are you chastising her when she exhibits this scratching behavior?
Does she do it to let you know she needs to go out? If so, maybe try bell training her instead.
That way she'll have a way to signal to you that doesn't involve tearing up the doors.

#6 ·
I've never heard of such a thing! Are you sure you are not talking about declawing a cat? I would think that such an operation would be very painful and quite frankly cruel to your puppy. Jackie has never torn anything with her nails and the first thing that comes to my mind is have you been maintaining Missy's nails? Dogs need to have their nails regularly clipped and filed. Basset nails are usually thicker than other breeds and because of this I take Jackie to the vet every two weeks to get her nails clipped. I also file them at home with a coarse nail file once a week. This makes the nails smooth and not so sharp.

I'm sure that if you tried regularly clipping and filing Missy's nails, you will see a big improvement. Another thing you might want to look for is a door guard, it is a piece of plastic that goes on the bottom half of your door to protect it from Missy's nails. Good luck!

#7 ·
I looked at this 15 minutes ago and no one had written a reply. I was looking up declawing a dog, because it was such an upsetting question.
No Vet will proform this procedure unless the dogs toe was injurged and it had to be removed.

I'm betting this question is going to be a 4 pager, like "last weeks"

I did of course find an alternative to declawing a cat or dog. ONLY IN AMERICA, is all I'll say.
Everyone has to click on this one to beleive it. I guess there is a chance for us all to become rich with any idea, good bad, and ugly.

http://www.softpaws.net/ :rolleyes:

#10 ·
I did of course find an alternative to declawing a cat or dog. ONLY IN AMERICA, is all I'll say.
Everyone has to click on this one to beleive it. I guess there is a chance for us all to become rich with any idea, good bad, and ugly.
http://www.softpaws.net/ :rolleyes:
[/b]
$18 a pack! Ouch!

#11 ·
I never heard of doing that to a dog! I know what you mean about tearing up the screens, but there are other solutions. I think it would be extremely cruel to declaw a puppy! Why not put a barrier of some sort across the bottom of the screens? I had a storm door put in that also has a screen that you can use in the summer, but I made sure that it only applied to the top portion of the door so noone could claw at it. With the sliding screen doors, I just have to keep an eye open to be sure that they behave.

#12 ·
First I wasn't concidering it. I heard this!!! In my opinion I think that it is indeed a cruel thing to do!!! Sorry for upsetting you all! Just thought I'd ask! I want to help my dear missy, that's why I'm here to enjoy everyone stories and learn more about this beautiful dog! Again I'm truely sorry for upsetting everyone.

By the way! What is a troll?

Danielle

First I wasn't concidering it. I heard this!!! In my opinion I think that it is indeed a cruel thing to do!!! Sorry for upsetting you all! Just thought I'd ask! I want to help my dear missy, that's why I'm here to enjoy everyone stories and learn more about this beautiful dog! Again I'm truely sorry for upsetting everyone.

By the way! What is a troll?

Danielle
[/b]

And someone asked if we maintained her nails....yes my husband does it weekly and when we take her to the vet they do it to.

Maybe I should have ask in another way like HOW do I stop my dog from tearing up our doors!!

I love my Missy!
Danielle

G
#14 ·
We put up a baby gate at the doorway. The kind that you can step on the lever and the gate will open for you. We put one at our sliding glass door for the summer. It worked great!. You might have to do this for the doorways. You could also maybe hang a bell from the handle. They might learn to signal going out by ringing the bell instead of scratching. It may take some time, but it's worth a try. I remember reading that bassets need their nails. They need them for walking.
It's always good to ask. Plenty of experts here.

mary frances

#16 ·
In a word... NO. :eek: :blink: It sounds like something akin to demolishing your house to fix a leaky faucet!

Training is the way to go. There have been quite a few suggestions to get you started. I'm sure Mikey T will jump in soon and post some informative and helpful links for you to consider. If not, research it yourself... the same tool that connects you to us will help you find solutions to your problem without resorting to de-clawing. Also, de-clawing seems like an expensive (as well as painful and barbaric) solution. If you are considering the expense why not try a professional trainer or behaviourist... it seems to me like it would be a lot cheaper than surgically removing twenty claws!!! (And personally, any vet that would CONSENT to doing such a thing is a vet I would NEVER let near MY dog!!!! :angry: )

I'm sure you must be very frustrated or you would not have even considered such a cruel and drastic measure. Try simpler methods of correction first. We had a problem worse than yours. When we adopted my Moe we found that, among other problems, he was a biter. My son and I were literally covered in large bruises when we finally were able to take him to a trainer. (Moe had kennel cough when we adopted him so we had to wait for it to clear up before we could take him to anyone for help.) His trainer carefully evaluated why he was biting and after only ONE session we had the information we needed to correct his problem. Two more sessions helped us become confident in our correction techniques but it took several months before his problem significantly diminished enough for us to feel safe with him. He eventually became a sweet, loving, dog. I say this to show you how a small amount of time with a professional can make a drastic difference in understanding and correcting even serious problems. Try some of the things suggested by other members, research training techniques and suggestions on the web, and then, if still necessary, contact a dog behaviorist or trainer.

#17 ·
"By the way! What is a troll?

troll
In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, often in the form of posting messages that are inflammatory, insulting, or off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others.[/b]
Avoid Flame Wars and Internet Trolls

Guide to Flaming

Definitions of Flaming
Troll: unlike the detonator, the Troll makes a career, of sorts, out of starting Flame Wars. Usually starting with an obvious dig, such as 'Gays should be castrated' on the gay groups, and similar mind-stetching analysis of the world. Someone will bite, leaving the Troll to fan the flames, then sit back and bask in the firelight.
The Troll is a sad little thing - often a lonely teenager; it feeds off attention, any attention (let's face it, it cannot afford to be fussy). With thousands of newsgroups available, the Troll will soon move on if there is a poor response - ignore it, and it will go away. Guaranteed. If you have to respond, perhaps to warn others in the group, do it by talking about the troll, never to it.[/b]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.