Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to adopt two rescue bassets Beau & Belle, we have an enclosed garden, and I want to either build or buy a wooden day cabin for them, what sort of floor space should I be making for a sleeping / dozing area for them. Thanks

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Dog House Sizing

The above link discusses standards for dog houses (is this what you mean by 'day cabin'?) taking into consideration a number of factors.(There are several different links within this site which discuss dimensions of the structure, sleeping area, etc.)
Quote:
"If the house is too small, it will be uncomfortable and your dog won't want to stay in it. If the house is too large, it will be harder for your dog to retain body heat in order to stay comfy and warm. Also, dogs feel more secure in a snug-fitting abode."

Are the dogs you're adopting used to this living arrangement? It sounds like you'll be leaving them outdoors during the day- if they've been exclusively indoor dogs there might be some adjustment issues-

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
below are the only dog houses/cabins any self respecting would be caught dead in

The Arizona Dog House Company

STANDARD DOG HOUSE FEATURES:
  • Air Conditioner with Remote Included
  • Sturdy Wood Framing
  • Vinyl Flooring
  • Operable Front Window
  • Interior Paneling over 1.5" Polystyrene Insulation
  • Cedar Trim (Log Cabin)
  • Premium Architectural Composite Shingles (Log Cabin, Chalet)
or for the do it yourselfer
Petcool Dog House Heater Air Conditioner

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Wow Mike! I'd love one of those for me... forget the bassets! :p

We have three bassets who are content to share the same bed... though they each have their own... it is about 3X4 feet in size... it is not enclosed but to give you an idea on comfort for stretching out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I love the photo Mikey posted of the dog house with the AC and the remote! I say get them an Iphone too so they can download an app to operate the AC from the park.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts