Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Tally's vet appointment a couple of weeks ago, we got Frontline for both the dogs. Perhaps I should have gotten some for myself. I did some yard work two days ago because the weather was so wonderful. Yesterday morning while showering I found a dog tick attached to the underside of my upper arm. <_< I carefully removed it, disinfected the spot, and went about my business. This afternoon my arm itched and when I checked the spot I found it swollen and red. :eek: I went straight to the nearby walk-in but it was closed so I'm using warm compresses and antibiotic ointment till Monday. D*** ticks! :angry: The down-side of beautiful spring weather...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Terry, I think you should head out to your M.D.'s office to have a Lyme titre drawn and to see if they advise any antibiotic prophylaxis...Lyme disease bites and you're at ground zero for it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Another fabulous thing about spring is that Francis morphs from a basset hound into a basset COW for all the grass he starts to eat. :blink:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Speaking of grazing, I was hand-grazing my horse in my back yard last week, and I noticed that Lightning started imitating him and eating grass. He's never grazed before (although he's trained to bite the heads off dandelions). It was very bizarre, and I thought about all the people on this board that said their bassets graze. And Terry, you definitely need to get that bite looked at.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moe gets vaccinated every year for Lyme after testing positive for Lyme exposure several years ago. At her well-dog visit a few weeks ago Tally also tested positive for exposure to Lyme and got the second part of her Lyme vaccination just last night. My son had Lyme disease but it was caught early and treated. We know many people who've had it, some with serious complications, but I haven't had it... yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts