Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bowser and I meant to volunteer there a few months ago, but then I had an issue and went into the hospital...which turned out to be an expensive overreaction on my doctor's part, which is also frustrating (but hey, i was throwing up blood...: ) anyway, i had a bunch of items to donate and have been frustrating with timing ever since! WELL today we just got in the car and WENT there, hoping to get there before they closed. We made it, dropped off the items, and then got to meet all (100 or so) of the most sad, yet happy, cute adorable bassets! I wanted them all. I wanted to HELP them all. My husband picked out two he wanted right away *lol* we have to wait until we have a house (come on economy!) as right now we already have two dogs in a town-house we rent with NO yard...and the yard we have is always covered in poop LOL

Anyway, if any of you here haven't heard of it, you should take a look at Daphneyland and see if you can help out! I actually got to meet the real Daphney, a 17 year old basset who has a couch to herself, and she was a sweetheart. They even adoped out an 18 year old basset not too long ago, and that makes me feel good to hear of them living that long! I'd always read that they live about 13-15 years, and I know I will never have had enough time with my BowBow.

Anyway, just sharing. It's painful to see them being old, or hurt, or sick and homeless, but they are such a sweet and loving, trusting and adorable breed they seem happy no matter what and only want to kiss your hand and come home with you. It was so hard to leave without 10 or so! I'm so glad there are places out there to take care of these special dear ones though. I haven't really been to a place like that before. Very gritty and real, seeing how people will mistreat or abandon animals in need, and I hope someday we're in a better position to help out more. : )

So yeah, adopt a basset today, or help your local shelter!! *steps down off soap box* : )

·
Registered
160 Posts
Alright jaleely, glad you finally made it. 106 hounds at the moment, and so many more that I'm sure will be coming. 13 of the last 15 in have been young guys, which can be good just in the sense that they'll get adopted easily. Daphney is a cutie, she owns that couch ;) We love bringing Woofus and Snoopy there, as they get real excited to see their Auntie Dawn again. Hope to see you there sometime, message me if you're going next time. Would love to meet Bowser.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Ohhhh, my goodness. That website brought me to tears. I will never, ever understand how people can treat animals poorly.

I already help a senior basset home in Maryland, but when I come with a few extra dollars, will send some to Daphneyland, too.

Thank you for sharing this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts