Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Louie was on a three week regime of steroids for his itchy skin, he had developed hot spots and his belly looked like he had the measels.

Now that is over and his back is a mess. Big crusty chunks of scaly skin (sorry for being so graphic) I am a nurse, and I have seen this on skin of the elderly in their scalp, and I too have gotten it in a much lesser form.

I use nuetrogena's coal tar shampoo, with great relief from excess oils and itchiness.

Do you think Louie would fare the same? I am looking at Pine tar soap that is for pets dermatitis, and I am thinking this will give him some relief as well.

Every time we go to the vets, which has been not so often this year, thank God (last two years it was monthly)...we walk out of there broke. Last visit for antibiotics and diagnosis (I had the steroids already) was $168!

Anyone else have this problem with super oily coat and itching and scaling??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jasper had a hot spot on his tail which he would lick and bite and bit all the hair off. It was all red and raw. A friend told me about brewer's yeast tablets. I started giving these to him and they helped a lot. I also put some oil in his diet because this same friend told me that the hot air in winter will dry out their skin and some oil makes a difference. I used a few drops of olive oil right on his food. I do know that too much bathing can cause skin problems and only bathe him every couple of months or so. Don't know if any of this will be helpful, always looking for inexpensive and practical cures.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I waited until Saturday morning and I put him in the shower with me and covered him with T-Gel (a coal-tar shampoo). I let it stay on his coat for a few minutes and rinsed it off. He was running around, coat all shiny, and just a few patches of scaly skin left. When he laid on his back, I almost died. His underbelly looked like he had measles and in his arm pits it was all yeasty and cheesy looking (sorry for the graphics).

I called the vet and she took us right in. This is the Vet I love...Dr. Lee...anyhow, she said that although we are doing a great job on controlling Louie's diet allergies, he just can't handle the environmental ones that are all out there now. He is on antibiotics for 28 days and predisone (steriods) until Sept. 19th. Lee feels that he might have to do this every summer. Hopefully he won't get diabetes from it. Or brittle bones

Lou surely isn't feeling up to speed today. His eyes are running, his nose is literally running and when I went to walk him, he kept trying to lay down in the grass, and he is panting alot. So unlike him.

I am glad I took him to the vets. Lee only charged us $120 that included the antibiotics and a shampoo for the yeast. Lou needs to take 2 showers a week all summer in this, plus 100 mg of Benadryl a day too!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Glad to hear he's getting the treatment he needs.

Murray also has skin problems, but with the help of our vet, and trail and error, we're in a daily routine that works for us and keeps the problems at bay. Murrray likes to be fussed over every morning, and he jumps up on the couch and rolls over for me when I tell him it's "medicine time".

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad to hear he's getting the treatment he needs.

Murray also has skin problems, but with the help of our vet, and trail and error, we're in a daily routine that works for us and keeps the problems at bay. Murrray likes to be fussed over every morning, and he jumps up on the couch and rolls over for me when I tell him it's "medicine time".

Good luck![/b]
I suggest you ask your vet if some of the symptoms and the severity of the reoccurances are not caused by rebound from the steroids. That is an awful lot of steroids. My vet never uses them for more than 5 days simply because the symptoms from rebound are worse than the original problem itself and creates a vicious and never ending cycle of flareups.
I have had great success with resichlor and ketochlor by virbac recomended by other basset lovers with the same problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts