Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Porter got another blister, a big one this time. Went to the vet, he said its nothing serious, just like a human blister, gave me some anti-bacterial cream and told me to go home. He said it'll take a few days to scab over.

Here is my question for all the basset people:

Does bassets get more blister than other dogs? Porter has huge bubble paws and is this why he gets blisters? He looks even more pathetic than usual.

Here he is with his back paw wrapped up at the dog park, looking sad even though he has his party hat on.

Porter is the only basset at my dog park and none of the other dog owners seem to have any blister problems with their dogs.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Never had the problem in any basset but mine are rarely on asphalt. Asphalt can cause bisters in two ways 1 it gets hot and two it is extremely abrasive. I would recommend a product like Tuf-foot It should help toughen the pad and solve the problem

a large pad should actual diminsh the likelihood of a blidter as a distributes the weight over a larger area and a thich pad provided mor cushioning. I don't thing pad size or shape is the problem. In the sport I compete in the small footed dogs like BC have a loot more pad and foot issues than I have ever had . which is not hard because I never had any,

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
None of mine have ever had blisters either.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in the city so Porter spend 90% of time walking on sidewalks. Since the vet said its nothing serious, I'm not too worried but it is very annoying and it hurts the dog. Porter's nails are short so I don't think thats the problem. Maybe I should try dog lotion to make his paw pads soft? Will definitely give the Tuf-foot a try if I can find it at my local PetCo.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Never had that either. Baseball pitchers who are prone to blisters soak their fingers in pickle brine. Not sure how you'd get a basset to do that without them drinking the brine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll have to avoid taking the dog on walks in the summer time. I am sure the sidewalks gets hot but its only june right now so I assumed it'll be alright. But guess I was wrong. If it was a blister on my foot, I would just try to leave it open to dry and scab but Porter likes to lick it and can't leave it alone, hence the bandages. He gets tons more treats at the dog park now with the limping foot.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Poor Porter :( hope ya feel better soon, dawg.

My person started putting lotion on my pads, because they are dry and getting crackly. i walk a lot on asphalt & concrete too. mine is called bowwow butter balm.

Also, someone started a thread recently on Doggie Boots... maybe it was Abigail? someone in Arizona where it's hot hot. it might help w/preventing blisters again once he's healed up.
--your pal, Worm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts