Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has ringworm! :( In the meantime, I have the pleasure of doctoring both of them.

T

·
0 Posts
Poor kids, poor Daisy. How hard would it be for you to get some rubber gloves to wear while you're doctoring Daisy? I'm just thinking it might be a good idea to keep you from getting it.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Twinkie's Mum:
How hard would it be for you to get some rubber gloves to wear while you're doctoring Daisy?
Janet 'n Twinkie
Wouldn't be hard at all--DH has a whole kleenex-type box of gloves that he uses when mixing/using garden chemicals, etc. :D Actually, the dermatologist didn't seem concerned--they just said lots of hand-washing, so I wash after I apply medicine to either one. I'm more concerned about my other son and the other dog, so I am careful to wash after touching the infected parties, and I keep a pretty good eye on the others and examine them frequently too.

Thanks for the good thoughts, though! :D

Barb

A

·
0 Posts
wow! didn't know dogs could get it from humans. :( Are there a lot of kids at school with it?? Sorry to hear. Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
As a teacher of little ones, I see a fair amount of ringworm, even had it myself twice :( . However, I DID NOT know it could be passed between humans & animals! I don't think rubber gloves are necessary. Just wash your hands after applying the medicine. And just an FYI - if anyone gets it again, there are over the counter creams you can buy, now that you know what it is!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Don't feel bad! There's no way you can prevent someone from picking up the ringworm fungus somewhere. I got it once a couple of years ago from one of my foster kittens, a little generic lotrimin cream a few times a day took care of it on my pretty quickly. I also read that if left untreated it'll go away on it's own but that takes a few months.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know that there are OTC things for it, I had no idea! When I had it as a kid, we had to go to the doctor for some cream, I think. Been a long time. :(

I have only heard of maybe two other kids who had ringworm at school, one is a farm kid who evidently passed it to one other kid and my boy. At least as far as we know! I haven't remembered to ask any one what the 'incubation' period is, so later this spring there might be a bunch of kids with it! I also understand that some kids get a small spot which resolves on itself while others have terrible problems, like my son.

I've sure learned a lot more than I ever wanted to know about ringworm, that's for sure.

So, I'm doing a lot of laundry, & cleaning, etc., trying to get keep on top of it; I don't know if it'll work or not, but there's not much else I can do. Just wish we'd have one nice warm dry weekend so I could shampoo carpets. At least it's in time for spring cleaning.

Thanks for the information & support, guys, I feel a bit better and a little less like a bad mom now! :D

BarbR

A

·
0 Posts
Good luck. What a stressful situation. Don't beat yourself up.....
I had no idea things could pass from human to dog like this. Weird!
Jennifer

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Don't worry about it. I think alot of people think you have to be dirty to get ringworm, but that is NOT the case. You just have to come in contact with it. I never heard of it going away without treatment, though. I have had students whose parents waited too long to treat it & the spot got huge. When I had it, it 1st appeared about penny size. I began treatment right away, so it did not get larger, but it still took about a month to clear up. It's a stubborn little fungus! Also, I think passing it is more likely to happen from direct contact. It is less likely (tho not impossible) to be passed from a secondary source, like carpeting. I just realized I know way too much about ringworm! ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good luck and whole lot of drool from us. Sammy had cocidia (sp) about a month ago. The vet said it was probably from a cat - we have a lot of them in the area. There are just little bugs everywhere and sometimes they can't be avoided.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Cooter's had it on his ear, no big deal! Please, just be careful when you put meds on it, and wash your hands alot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts