Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past few days, Daisy's arthritis has flared up. She was so uncomfortable yesterday that we were at the vet's first thing this morning. She's walking like a little old lady, head down, tiny steps, arched back. She's on Deramaxx and it appears to have lost it's efficacy. We've already had her on Rimadyl, and that stopped working also. She is having a full workup, xrays, bloodwork, etc. The vet wanted to keep her until late today or early tomorrow, to let her recover completely from the anesthesia. I'm really afraid that there is something else going on too....she's never been this bad before. She's 8 years old and came to us from an abusive situation through a Basset rescue. We've had her since she was 3. Please send good thoughts her way........... :( :(

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Oh Marcia, I'm sorry to hear this. I know you'll both feel alot better when she's home again- please let us know how it's going-

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had a call from the vet. She has moderately severe spondylosis in her spine, with a particularly bad lesion at the base of her skull. He has a plan for her, involving muscle relaxants, painkillers and steroids. Depending on how she does over the weekend, he may do an MRI next week. I'm so worried for her, I'm beside myself. If anybody else has dealt with this, I'd like to hear about it. Please keep thinking good thoughts.......

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Hang in there Marcia, sounds like the vet might be able to help her....

I hate it when our babies get sick, it makes us feel so helpless. Keep us posted!

Sandy

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Spencer & I are sending good wishes Daisy's way.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Hang in there, I know it's tough. Sending good thoughts your way.

~Heather

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I understand how worried you must be. :( Sending best wishes for Daisy. :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm sorry you and Daisy are having to go through this. It's just like having a child sick, I know. Sending healing drool your way!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Poor Daisy!!! Jackie sends lots and lots of healing drool her way!! I know you must be terribly upset and I wish there was something more I could do. We will be keeping you and Daisy in our prayers.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
We're sending lots of drool and prayers your way. Hope she is home very, very soon.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, Daisy is home and feeling much better on prednisone and muscle relaxants. The problem is that she is supposed to rest as much as possible, and it's hard to keep her quiet. She seems very peeved that her walks and car rides have been curtailed for now. Crating her isn't really an option - she was crated for the best part of 3 years before we adopted her, and she becomes hysterical in the crate. We've tried getting her gradually used to it and feeding treats in there - she wouldn't even go in for cheese. We'll just have to do our best. This regimen is just to cool down this flare up. We'll still need to find something to maintain her on. The vet mentioned acupuncture as possibly helping her. Has anyone had acupuncture on a dog or themselves? I'd really like to hear about it if so. Thank so much for the good wishes and kind thoughts - they realy do help :)

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I don't know if this would help in terms of restraint, but ...

When Lady had her bout with vestibular disease, I had to keep her restrained so she wouldn't injure herself. Essentially, with vestibular disease, their inner ear goes mad and they have no sense of balance, don't know up from down, etc. So movement is a big problem.

I created a bunker of sorts in the living room --- a fair sized area covered with blankets and quilts and rugs, and completely surrounded by pillows and cushions and piles of rolled up towels, etc.

It allowed Lady to remain part of the action, but confined her movements and kept her "safe."

Maybe something similar would work for Daisy? All the cushioning would surely feel good on her arthritis, etc. It could give her the space to do some movement while confining her without those scary prison bar things. It would mean giving up the living room or family room for a while, but ... ?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, Biscuit, for the idea. I just might be able to do this in our office. It would certainly be worth a try........

·
Registered
782 Posts
Francis and I send lots of best wishes to Daisy for a good treatment plan to handle her pain. Doesn't it s**k when the pups are sick? We feel so helpless.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Years ago I worked for a vet who used acupuncture. She had amazing results with it. I remember one elderly dog with arthritis who came in for treatments and he was like a pup after they were over! I would defintiely give it a try.

We're all thrileld that Daisy is home and wish you good luck in keeping her quiet. Not easy to do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts