Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took Moe for his check-up I asked the vet about his lumps. He's getting them here and there, most peanut-sized but one almost golf-ball sized that worried me. The vet told me that they were cysts and relatively harmless. If any got too large we may want to have them removed so they don't burst but otherwise they were nothing to worry about. He said they were common to the breed. Does anyone know if this is true? My friend's elderly Basset (passed away three years ago) had cysts that were similar to Moe's and they never bothered him but I don't know any other Bassets with them...

We'll probably have the large one removed soon because it's near his neck where his collar sits - I'm afraid if someone pulls on his collar it could hurt him. :eek:

Terry

[ May 05, 2004, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Terry ]

·
Registered
773 Posts
A friend of mine had three cysts removed from her basset this past winter. The dog is only two and a half, but she had some good-sized bumps and it was decided to get rid of them.

My cocker had cysts, quite a few of them, but they never bothered her so we left them alone....

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had a cyst removed from Emma's back foot. It was an "oil gland cyst". It got kind of huge and bothered ME, but it never seemed to bother her. I just worried that it would get bigger and burst and then I'd freak out.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Epidermal inclusion cysts, more commonly known as sebaceous cysts, are common in bassets. These are benign cysts that tend to be well-circumscribed and within the skin, unattached to underlying tissue or bone. These sometimes rupture and may require surgical excision if infected. Buffet had about 10 of these cysts removed earlier this year, some of which had been present for years.

Benign fatty tumors (lipomas) are not uncommon in middle-aged and older dogs.

There are several other types of tumors, both benign and malignant, that also can involve the skin or subcutaneous tissue. Sometimes, enlarged lymph nodes (reactive or cancerous) can be felt as lumps, and sometimes, sites of infection can present as lumps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Theo had one on his back for at least a year, maybe more and then it burst. That's when we had it removed. Our vet said don't worry about it unless it grows very fast or it bursts. If I see a new one come up, I always have the vet check it just in case. So far, Rudy doesn't have any though he's a bit younger.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Yogi has had a couple of these since he was just a pup. :) They've never caused him any trouble, although he loves it when I scratch the one sitting right between his shoulder blades. ;)

A

·
0 Posts
Ryobi had one on his snout, we had it removed when her was neutered(poor guy got operated on both ends) the vet said it was pritty intangled but nothing seems to have come of it. Now he has another one inhis neck it must have gotten infected at one time and anitbiotics seems to shrink it now its getting a little bigger again so we will probably go into the vet soon just to be on the safer side. he is only 3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts