Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My basset, Molly, just underwent some fairly significant surgery to have several sebacious cysts removed. They were fairly deep and there was some blood vessel involvement. The poor girl had to endure almost 4 hours of surgery. I've been questioning the vet about these cysts, and basically what I'm getting is "Well, she just seems to be prone to them." We have had other bassets with a few small cysts, but never bad enough that they had to be surgically removed.

Any comments on cysts in bassets? There doesn't seem to be any connection to diet or anything I could do to keep these from forming. Anyone else have a basset with similar problems?

·
Registered
538 Posts
We had to have an oil gland cyst removed from Emma's back foot. I had it removed because it kept getting bigger and bigger. It was about the size of a large walnut, and it hung off the back side of her foot. I was afraid it would burst, and that would just freak me out, so we decided to have it removed. The vet said it would likely reoccur in the same spot, or elsewhere on her body as well. Well, we are taking her in Monday to have a small, pea-sized lump on her ear checked out...ugh. Don't want to put her through more surgery--that just about tore my heart out. Hopefully this one will be one that won't grow too big and we can just leave it.

A

·
0 Posts
Francis has a recurrent one between his front shoulder blades. Bassets are definitely prone to them. I know it's time to do something about it when he gets that "Hunchback of Notre Dame" look.

[ August 12, 2004, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Beverly Anne Cawley ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts