Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Moe has new cysts popping out all over him over the last few months. At least two are infected, and one is extremely large at 3-4 inches. He's licking and chewing at the ones he can reach, irritating them more. I have a antibiotic cream that I'm using on the cysts that show signs of irrtation, and I have a refill of his antibiotics. I have a very pungent salve thats supposed to discourage licking, and for the most part it does. He has arthritis in his joints, his eyesight is going, and I suspect that his hearing is too. We all know Bassets have selective hearing, but Moe used to react to the warning beeps of his invisible fence. Lately he's gotten out of the yard twice - I think he just doesn't hear the warnings any more. The vet doesn't think we'll have him much longer. The cysts concern me the most - I can't bear the see him uncomfortable and he's too old for surgery. I'm afraid that the time is coming when I'll be faced with making that difficult decision that we all dread. How will I know when the time has come? And how can I live with myself if I end the life of my dearest and best friend?

I don't want him gone, but if he has to go I do want so much for it to happen in his sleep...:(:(:(

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
This time is always hard.

There will come a time, if you are listening, when you will look into his eyes and he will tell you that he has had enough. Mine have always told me when they are ready to go to the bridge. It still sucks, you still have some doubts and second thoughts, no matter how unrealistic, you still want to tell the vet to stop, but you know deep down that it is the right thing to do.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yep I have to agree... you'll know when the time comes. He'll tell you and it's then that you have to be brave enough to let him go. Whenever our inlaws dogs got older and our Savana I told them "It's ok to go, we'll miss you forever but if you are ready then it's alright to go." They never did go on their own but I always wanted them to know that it was ok if they needed to.

Then when it is time, be brave enough to be there with him. Don't leave him alone in the vets office without you there to hold his paw. It's hard enough but at least then they know you are there till the end.

As for how will you live with it? You will know that you weren't being selfish by keeping him here when he was uncomfortable and in pain. You'll know that you were doing the kindest thing for him you could by letting him go comfortably. It's never easy but you can't keep them forever, he'll always be with you in your heart.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Terry, I am sorry to hear Moe is having problems. Spencer too had multiple cysts in his last years. How old is Moe? Spencer underwent surgery a year ago (at age 13) to have a cyst that would not heal removed. At the time, he was also losing hearing & vision, but was otherwise healthy. He did fine with surgery. As far as letting them go, I've been through it twice now & it is not easy. For me, my head told me when the time was right, but my heart had difficulty letting go. I also hoped for both Sadie & Spencer to "sleep away," but that didn't happen. As hard as it was, I knew that Spencer's quality of life had deteriorated and I loved him so much, I did not want him to suffer. I agree with smitte21 - when the time comes, be with Moe. I had the vet come to my house for both Sadie & Spencer's trip to the Bridge. It eliminated that last stressful ride to the vet. Both left this world in their own bed with me by their side. I would not have had it any other way. I am thinking of you & Moe with love. I know how hard it is. I'm including a poem below. I don't know if you've seen it, but it's helped me.
Amy

If it should be that I grow frail & weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this - the last battle - can't be won.
You will be sad, I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close - we two - these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moe is gone. And I feel every bit as bad as I thought I would. My mind knows it was right but my heart is broken. :(:(:(

·
Registered
297 Posts
We're here with you. It's never easy no matter how bad they are feeling. It will get easier with time but no matter what you'll never forget them.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Oh no so sorry!
~Heather

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I believe that he is waiting at the bridge for you, free of his pain.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'm so sorry. Thinking of you...
Amy

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am so sorry...I had to recently make that decision too for the same health issues (minus the hearing). I still feel alot of guilt. It's a really hard thing to do.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'm sure he thanks you for a wonderful life, and for being brave enough to let him go when it was no longer good. Thinking of you. We all know how hard it is.

·
Registered
73 Posts
p.s sometimes the love is big enough where you love your bassett enough to want to see them free of discomfort more than your ow needs of wanting to keep them with you. For different reasos I too made this heart werenching decision. I know (as you do) it was the right thing to do but unfortunately this doesn't make the loss and grief which follows any less hard to swallow.

Perhaps you can make a nice memorial to remember your beloved basset in your garden as I have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts