Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Really need help with this one so thanks in advance!

Our 6 year old Basset, Sherlock, cries a lot. The main thing driving us up the wall is crying in the mornings. He goes to bed very well, straight in and we go up stairs (we have a stair gate), not a peep from him.

But in the morning he'll cry and cry until we come downstairs which is a problem as it's 6am every day.

We've tried going down and putting him back in bed or letting him out for the toilet, we've tried completely ignoring it for months, we've also tried long walks in the evening to tire him out, but no change.

When we inevitably go downstairs he just goes straight back to sleep!

Can anyone help with this??

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
:rolleyes: Your hound and mine must be closely related. Almost ever since we had him, at 4 months, he's wanted up with the lark - and this can be the problem.... once the birds sing, he wants OUT. He and his buddie sleep in their crates in my room - she doesn't stir until I do, by around 7 am. Not so with himself. I count myself lucky if I go to 6 am in the middle of summer when it's light by any time after 4 am. It's hard ignoring (not just the noise) so in case he really does need out - if he's still unwilling to SHUT UP.... I get up, let him out, make myself a cuppa and go back to bed, leaving him in the kitchen to kick his heels until I /WE WANT UP!

If possible, you might try having him up with you at night, rather than leaving him alone downstairs? We have a single storey property here but I knew from the outset that trying to leave him in the kitchen, even with his buddie, wasn't going to work - apart from the fact it's not a big kitchen so as I prefer to use a crate at night, I can't leave the crates up in the kitchen all the time.

It's difficult to know whether this is just 'I've had enough sleep, let's get up - breakfast' or whether he has a real need to empty..... and I do go out with him to see what he does - usually it's just a pee but occasionally he has a bowel movement at which point I can't scold him!

Try bringing him in with you overnight

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks FranksMum, we'll have to put some thought into it and possibly make a change.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
:eek:
Hi all,

Really need help with this one so thanks in advance!

Our 6 year old Basset, Sherlock, cries a lot. The main thing driving us up the wall is crying in the mornings. He goes to bed very well, straight in and we go up stairs (we have a stair gate), not a peep from him.

But in the morning he'll cry and cry until we come downstairs which is a problem as it's 6am every day.

We've tried going down and putting him back in bed or letting him out for the toilet, we've tried completely ignoring it for months, we've also tried long walks in the evening to tire him out, but no change.

When we inevitably go downstairs he just goes straight back to sleep!

Can anyone help with this??

·
Registered
28 Posts
One approach is exercise, long walk before going to bed. May or may not work.

Mine wake me up around 5am or so on weekends to go out and run in the woods. They run over 5 hours at a time and usually lay down over 18 miles of tracks. This provides a few benefits:

1. Well, this isn't a benefit, they drag my butt out of bed at Oh-dark-thirty to go outside. But in my case, I just turn on the GPS tracker and go back to sleep while they terrorize the local rabbit population.

2. When they get home from a weekend, they don't move much. Wake me up in the morning? I often have to tip the love seat forward to roll Cletus out so he'll go outside for his morning elimination.

3. Well, of course it's super healthy for them.

I've found a decent walk right before sleep helps a lot, but results won't be as good as what I get on Monday through maybe Tuesday night (they recover quickly these days). There's a difference between recovering from a few blocks against 18 miles.

You can't believe everything you see on TV. I had no idea how much energy these dogs have. I wasn't prepared (but I am now!). All the Bassets I saw on TV were couch potatoes. Luther pulled his Basset around in a wagon on Coach. How did Bassets get such an inaccurate stereotype anyway?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow where do you live! If I let mine run wild in the woods I'd never see him again!

I've tried a walk before bed but perhaps not long enough, he definitely has more energy than I expected when we got him, you're not wrong.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maby you should put up camera's around the house and see if you can see why he crys so much
He just wants us up with him, sometimes he cries from his bed and can't even be bothered to get up! As soon as I come down he goes back to sleep, just ants the company I think.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
1. if you followed Mr. teds previous post. 1. west virginia. 2. the dogs are hunting. 3. they have tracking collars. 4. If you have a scent hound that can not find its way back home it is not a very good scent hound. that said letting then run loose without supervision is a good way for them to get killed but that is not what is happening.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Well mine could find their way home - and a couple did after they went their own way when being exercised in local fields around us. And this is one thing I made sure I did asap when we moved - take them all out for a local walk/orienting so if they did take off, they'd be able to get home.

HOWEVER this wasn't done, taking off, on purpose. And one must have crossed a pretty busy commuter road back from the fields to our house at the time. She could so easily have been hit and killed. I'd want to be supervising their outings, not opening the doors and letting them run!! But I suppose it would depend on where to some degree.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have some acreage. Dogs think I own everything, including neighbor's land. There was an unfortunate chicken incident that I can get into later if there's interest. For the record, only dirt roads in the area, the closest highway is pretty far away and there's very little traffic there as well.

All my dogs have always been allowed to run loose in that area. Had a black lab that used to wander for hours on her own in the woods. I never had her on GPS, she never got lost. She loved it out there, open the back car door and she’d shoot out running straight into the woods and come back in a few hours. She lived up to two months shy of her 18th birthday. My ex and I think her long life can be attributed to her weekends at the cabin.

Had a conversation with my WV vet, it’s pretty common for dogs to run loose out there.

The vet occasionally encounters someone from the city visiting the area scooping up a loose dog and bring them into their office so they might be able to ID the dog (assuming they are chipped). Vet responds by telling them to take the dog back where they found it and let it go, the dog will know how to get back home on its own.

My basset brothers were the only dogs I let run loose to get lost. They had a run of the place since they were about 3 months old but discovered rabbits around the 8-month mark. They eventually got lost by following a scent without paying attention to where they were. The first time they got lost I was a wreck (whole different story, but they eventually found their way home). They haven’t been out without a GPS tracker since. They’ve gotten lost a few times after that but I’ve been able to retrieve them easily with GPS.

Now at 4 years, they know the area very well and only wander in a fixed area.

Now they never get lost, in fact I’m pretty amazed at their ability to find home. Once a storm rolled in and we had a lightning strike close by, very loud (scared the hell out of me). I watched them on the tracker and from 600 yards away, they made a beeline through the woods to get home (the thunder scared the shit out of them too). Usually, their path winds all over the place, they don’t execute linear maneuvers but they did that day.

Even though they don’t get lost anymore, I still make sure they have GPS tracking. And it’s not cheap, each collar is $250 and these guys have destroyed four of them (means I’ve purchased 6 to date) so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts