Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My baby bear real name Herphaestus lol (who is actually ten yrs old now bless him) he sleeps down stairs and us upstairs and we have blocked his acess to getting up the stairs with a small wicker basket . He sits and cries at bottom of the stairs at night when we go to bed and even worse has now started crying in the mornings before we get up. It isn't anything to do with being walked or not walked and he is not having any medical issue etc. It is because he has been left on his own as we have gone to bed. At the moment we take it in turns at night to sit with him stroke him in the lounge where his bed is (with all the lights out etc) until he falls asleep and then tip toe out of the room and go upstairs to bed. But now is worse he now cries in the morning as well as night , he cries in anticipation of you getting up which is not funny when you are trying to get a lazy morning when he has been crying night before. I can honestly say I had less bother with my human son when he was a baby lol. If it helps shed any light on the mater..he is with us 24/7 as we are at home all the time he is never left like a dog would be if one was to go out to work for example and also due to covid etc here now even more. He also gets walked everyday etc.

We had to block him getting up the stairs as a couple of years ago I let him have the run of the house and he was allowed to come upstairs and sleep in my room etc but he got very strange and would growl at me if I would try to enter my own bedroom and when he was in my room at night he would come right up to the egde of my bed and press and nudge his nose against me every second and make a noise I never knew a dog could make lol like a grunt crossed with a whing.. all night ! he then would also sit in the space between the two rooms out on the landing outside bedroom doors where the stairs are when I chucked him out of my room for obvious reasons just mentioned he seemed to like it there and refused to budge but trouble came if you tried to climb over him to get to the stairs ( as it is a narrow space) he thought you were tramping on "his bed" and would on rare occasion go for you . So we blocked him able to be coming upstairs at it got dangerous as he went for me once as I was trying to climb over him to get to the stairs and i nearly fell down the stairs. I think he maybe is remembering the fact that he could sleep upstairs in his most enjoyable (for him) spot but dangerous for us ! I have a hunch a basset does not forget much and is this maybe why he cries and protests every night and morning about why can't I go up there like I did two years ago lol.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
Is there a Question? Yes bassets never forget. You may want and try crating him in your bedroom He can sleep with you but is safely out of the way as well

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
You are not wrong about thinking Bassets, like elephants, do NOT forget! Unless it's 'convenient' to do so!!

Are you able to crate him because that might solve the problem of him owning places and making life downright dangerous for you (by the sound of it). He's certainly been spoilt and now thinks he owns you and the house! At 10, you'll have your work cut out to alter his view of things but you can try.

Lesson for the future maybe - you 'master', him NOT! Much as I know it's hard, if not totally impossible to resist a puppy Basset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is there a Question? Yes bassets never forget. You may want and try crating him in your bedroom He can sleep with you but is safely out of the way as well
Yes question was many different things..one any ideas on why he cry apart from what I suggest as I may have it wrong I do not know everything lol. Two... how do i stop this constant cry baby act?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are not wrong about thinking Bassets, like elephants, do NOT forget! Unless it's 'convenient' to do so!!

Are you able to crate him because that might solve the problem of him owning places and making life downright dangerous for you (by the sound of it). He's certainly been spoilt and now thinks he owns you and the house! At 10, you'll have your work cut out to alter his view of things but you can try.

Lesson for the future maybe - you 'master', him NOT! Much as I know it's hard, if not totally impossible to resist a puppy Basset.
Thankyou that is why I came on here as I had exhausted the reasons myself why he could be behaving like such a baby ! Had never thought to crate him , have a feeling he will go in his crate and also sit in the dangerous place on the stairs as well .

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
most of the behavior he is displaying fall under the term Resource Guarding. Resource Guarding is normal adaptive dog behavior, that however does not make it appropriate. if you Resource guarding which is also a self rewarding behavior so it never gets better only worse over time unless actively working against it. The best reference to consult on resource guarding in dogs is Mine! A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs: Jean Donaldson: 9780970562944: Amazon.com: Books That said consulting with an animal behaviorist is likely to achieve better results.

Had never thought to crate him , have a feeling he will go in his crate and also sit in the dangerous place on the stairs as well .
Not possible if you close the door on the crate. You can create a more appropriate spot for the dog to go to that is out of the way that has high value. to keep him out of the stair way with the following game. https://recallers.com/masterclass-video-2/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts