Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my bassets-Gibbs has a crooked front leg. I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is common in bassets and how serious it is. He runs, jumps, etc like it doesn't bother him. I believe it bothers me more than him. I am a member of BROOD and two of their dogs had this same problem. One of them had to get surgery, but the other one didn't. I'm guessing as long as it doesn't bother him I won't have to get surgery for him. Any thoughts, info will help.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
If he's an adult, the best thing to do is to try to prevent as much arthritis as possible, by keeping him lean and encouraging regular, moderate exercise. High impact exercise would not be a good idea for a dog with an obvious limb deformity.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is 3 years old (best estimate, I got him from Animal Control). The vet said that he is at "optimal Basset weight". We have a fenced in yard so he goes out as necessary and there's no stopping him from participating in the Basset 500 with his sister. =)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bassets, especially poorly bred ones, have a higher chance of being bowlegged, in either both or one of the front legs. My Bogie is a year and a half and is severely bowlegged, but he runs, jumps, tackles, and everything else a happy, healthy young dog can do. My vet said unless he ever actively shows signs of pain in the front two legs before arthritis sets in, there is no need for surgery Keep him thin (Bogie is around 40 pounds, but he's not as long, tall, or big in any way as some other bassets) and just let him keep using it. My vet also said starting to give him glucosamine once a day starting now isnt a bad idea, but I haven't started yet. I plan too before his second birthday though. The vet also said there is physical therapy and massage therapy for dogs, if he ever does start to show some signs of pain.

Good luck with Gibbs legs!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I figured it would be one of those things that would only need surgery if it bothered him. Gibbs is also thin, but he is very long (I call him a limo).

·
Registered
48 Posts
my Atticus was born with his left front paw allmost backwards but he runs and plays and went on a six mile hike,did not seem to bother him,he is allmost six years old,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts