Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has completely gone mad since the beginning of spring!He want's to be outside all day he doesn't eat very much and makes such irrutating noise!It's probably because of the breeding period and I hope that he'll be like his normal self again.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I also suffer from spring fever :D
Is it common to nueter and spay dogs in Bulgaria?
That would calm him down, if it's a female setting
him off.
Joan

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
You have the dogs fixed so they can't have puppies.
The boy dog is still a boy he just doesn't have the urge to find a female dog, he just doesn't care about girls. It can be healthier also. My boy dog doesn't mark, or hump he was done at age 1.
Joan

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah yes it is very common to do that in Bulgaria because we have a BIG problem with stray dogs.Some people nueter their dogs when they get too old.Personally I won't do that to Droopy because we are letting him this year for the first time to be a father.Bassets a still very rare in Bulgaria.Some people mistake them for dachshunds :p or they just say "Look,the dog from "Hush puppies!!""

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
1. Why do you want to breed, especially if there is a big problem with stray dogs in Bulgaria?

Inability to identify breed says nothing about rarity or the actual numbers of a breed in a specific place.

If you breed, you do nothing but contribute to the problem of stray dogs.

2. What are your qualifications as a breeder? I'm assuming that, because you're posting the most basic questions concerning breeding on an English language board, you have no qualifications. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

3. What are your dog's qualifications? What titles does he hold?

4. What is the complete health history of not only your dog, but his parents, g-parents, gg-parents, etc.? Are there no incidences of glaucoma, thrombopathia or the other inherited diseases of bassets? What about the mother?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well all is true about what you have said.I am not a breeder,infact I'm still not mature enough to have such a responsibility because I'm only 15 years old.Truth is,I'm a complete bassethound maniac and that's why I ask all these questions because I want to know a lot about the breed.
And about your questions conserning Droopy's parents and so and so the only name in his document that is familliar to me is in his gg-parents(that of the first basset in Bulgaria).But I know that his father is from Germany and his mother from Bulgaria.And as long as he doesn't have any genetical problems I am allowed from the bassethound club of Bulgaria to let him do his work :) .
Oh and about the overpopulation of stray dogs conserns only rhe capital of my country and most of them have been nuetered.The problem is that bulgarian people don't want to keep stray dogs in their homes :( That is why they live outside but people at least care for them and feed them.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Oh my, an International Basset! :)

Are there any breeders local to you? I mean, GOOD breeders, people whose dogs have titles and who really put the time and money into breeding right. If there are, then I really suggest you contact them and ask if they'd be willing to mentor you. :)

Otherwise, there's some really excellent breeders on this board, too. Maybe they'd be willing to point you in the direction of good information. Or maybe Basset Hound Club of America's site could help.

More than anything, though, you need to know this is NOT something you want to jump into. Breeding bassets is not an easy job -- once you get started on your research, I think you'll understand why it's so hard.

Good luck! You're sure an enterprising 15 year old! :D

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I hate it when people think my boys are dachshunds! "Look at the wiener dog", ughhh!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To Inrider
I find it quite funny really ;) It makes me feel better every day I go out with Droopy because a lot of people like him very much(his colors a perfectly mached and he has an eclipse of the sun on his back from black and white :p )They just stop and pet him ,talk about him with their friends or just smile.I think he(and bassets on the whole)has a really good psichological effect on people.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To biscuit
Well thank you for the advise but I think my family and I are going to keep him as a family dog for now.Still there are no GOOD breeders in Bulgaria(for this breed particullary( :(

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've just tryed to post a photo of Droopy.Lets see what happens :p

[ May 15, 2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK I will,but info about what exactly?About the rescues perhaps or something else? :D :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wish me luck!!!Droopy "the handsome hound" is going on a date this saturday.I hope everything comes out fine in the end so that there will be little puppies at the beginning of August!! :D :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts